GFI VS GFI breaker

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I tripped out my GFCI yesterday trimming hedges again LOL, that was a dead short & it acted quicker than the regular breaker.

Well Don yes the cord was grounded & the cutter cut clean through it in one sweep thus shorting the hot to neutral & ground, so yep that should do it.

I also believe that is if you have a GFIC breaker and GFIC outlets on the same circuit they will work against eachother or is that just some urban legend??

that would be a waste of money Brian, don't think it would hurt, one would trip before the other, depending on which reacts quicker & distance of course.

Well Don yes the cord was grounded & the cutter cut clean through it in one sweep thus shorting the hot to neutral & ground, so yep that should do it.

So my thinking with GFCI breakes is that. You need a ground (your hand, salt creep or grounding probe) for the gfci to trip if you had a cracked hot wire in the tank. Now if the cl pump got stuck and overloaded it would act as a normal breaker and trip at the full 20a load. Kind of two devices in one correct?? Just the breakers are all that are needed to be just fine as far as fire and shock protections goes anyways correct?? Also I'm setting these up so that each is pulling about 60% max on each circuit, I assume this is fine also??
By the way you need to get a gas powered hedge trimmer.:lol:

GFCI devices do not offer any fire protection. Please do not think they do. Most fires are caused by bad connections that slowly heat until combustion begins.

GFCI devices do not offer any fire protection. Please do not think they do. Most fires are caused by bad connections that slowly heat until combustion begins.

I thought the GFCI breakers (the ones installed in the breaker box, not the ones that replace outlets) are normal breakers as well as GFCI's. So they would protect both shock and wire overheating (when installed and sized correctly).

I thought the GFCI breakers (the ones installed in the breaker box, not the ones that replace outlets) are normal breakers as well as GFCI's. So they would protect both shock and wire overheating (when installed and sized correctly).

Thats what I'm hoping for, since thats how I just rewired my tank this week-end.

Don

Yes the GFCI is a breaker also it will trip as a standard. Now for fires you would use a AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) it looks for arching of two wires & is part of the new NEC standards for new home bedrooms.

I see the question marks. :) I felt that even though it was poised in a question that it is an assumption that is false and needs to be cleared up. Others reading may have assumed that they do guard against fires. I was trying to clear things up only.
Thank you,
David

I see the question marks. :) I felt that even though it was poised in a question that it is an assumption that is false and needs to be cleared up. Others reading may have assumed that they do guard against fires. I was trying to clear things up only.
Thank you,
David

Nope, just a question. Hell they need to make a all in one breaker. Do they??

Don

Back