GFO in reactor turning white

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MAC2

Anyone ever have the GFO turn white? It seems as though there was some sort of reaction which caused a white chalky substance to form inside the reactor and also on the surfaces of my acrylic tank.

GFO is basically rust... i don't know of anything that would cause rust to turn white... doesn't mean there in't anything, nor that there isn't anything obvious, i just don't know of anything.
but... are you dosing anything at all? is the white stuff like power or film? is it in the water column too, or has its settled? my immediate thoughts for 'white stuff' are bacterial boom (filmy) or precipitate (more powdery)

High nitrates. Reduce the amount of gfo in your reactor until nitrate levels reduce.
not doubting you, just wondering if you can share a source.. i tried to google this after i read it.. my keywords skills must be off today.

not doubting you, just wondering if you can share a source.. i tried to google this after i read it.. my keywords skills must be off today.

I have no source. Just personal experience with phosphate removing media and high nitrates. I'm not new to this hobby. I know you were not here back when I was active before but just an FYI your sarcasm and coming back on posts this way really makes you look silly and is quite annoying.

Good day.
Matt

Anyone ever have the GFO turn white? It seems as though there was some sort of reaction which caused a white chalky substance to form inside the reactor and also on the surfaces of my acrylic tank.

Another possibility is that your having calcium precip. If it's from high nitrates it is most likely A bacteria.

Another possibility is that your having calcium precip. If it's from high nitrates it is most likely A bacteria.
It does seem more like calcium precip. I also had a red/orange substance on all the surfaces in my tank, which I initially thought was red slime. After three treatments and several water changes, it did not go away. I am really curious now about the bacteria aspect. How this happened and how do I treat it. Thanks for your assistance and all those with the other suggestions.

I have no source. Just personal experience with phosphate removing media and high nitrates. I'm not new to this hobby. I know you were not here back when I was active before but just an FYI your sarcasm and coming back on posts this way really makes you look silly and is quite annoying.

Good day.
Matt
I apologize if I offended. As I said, I wasn't doubting you.. Personal experience IS a source and a valid one. I was just trying to learn something, and this is something I hadn't heard before... Googled it to try to get a better understanding, and didn't find anything. I find understanding the 'why' just as important as the 'what'

No. I did not clarify that very good. In my experience when running phosphate absorbing media with high nitrates has caused a white film which I've thought to be a bacteria. There would be no connection to calcium precip cause by nitrates.

No. I did not clarify that very good. In my experience when running phosphate absorbing media with high nitrates has caused a white film which I've thought to be a bacteria. There would be no connection to calcium precip cause by nitrates.
Thanks for getting back to me. I just got done scraping my tank and the white substance is definitely calcium.

Back