GFO... Which one?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roscoe

I have never used GFO before. I plan on getting it from BRS. Which is the best to use? The granular, pellets or is it worth spending the extra dough on the high capacity GFO which they advertise to remove twice as much as the others? Any one with a reccomendation?

unless you are having issues with phos. i would not bother, i know Dang had mentioned he had some issues using it and it may have been part of my problem as well. what ever you decide to do use it at very low dose and very slowly work up

i would say the regular granular is fine. it was real dusty, but after some good rinsing it worked well, too well

My first order was for the HC GFO but now I run the granular GFO. I can't tell a difference in the tank and neither can my Salifert kit.

My first order was for the HC GFO but now I run the granular GFO. I can't tell a difference in the tank and neither can my Salifert kit.

Thanks bro. That is what I was thinking myself. It is the same with thier ROX carbon. I only see a slight if any improvement on water clarity. I only tried it to see what the difference is. Just as thier premium tier carbon I think thier GFO will be the same way.

Thanks everyone for helping me make my decision!

I wonder...can I use these in my QT I just set up? It's going to use a hang on back filter with carbon.
Use these in stead of carbon??

I wonder...can I use these in my QT I just set up? It's going to use a hang on back filter with carbon.
Use these in stead of carbon??

They are diff products. GFO is for removing phosphates which can be a big deal in SPS tanks. No need to get that fancy on a QT. All you need is a simple sponge filter or HOB filter and maybe some carbon in that. You should be able to remove any waste in your QT easily since there is nothing in a QT but water and the fish and all detritus can be siphoned off the bottom.

Last edited:
Back