gigas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey ? for you all out there. Is there such a thing as to much watts per gallon? and if so, what is the best for a clam tank?????????

Welcome to RF bb1946! :)
I would not exceed the standard wattage used on a reef aquarium if that helps you any.
There are many different views and opinions on what that might be though.
Take my new frag tank for instance, its a 60 gallon frag system that is 12" deep but I will be firing 2x 20k 400w radium over it.
I am going 400w because I like the look of the 400w radium vs. the 250w.
For clams I also prefer a higher kelvin because the colors are better under them.
I would not however use 10k 400w bulbs over this setup because it woud be blinding to view and more then likely burn the inhabitants.
What kind of lighting are you using bb? This will help a lot in directing you to the proper wattage if your considering clams.

Radium????
I used to use 2x250 mh. I got tired of the heat so I went to t5's. I have a tech light 6x 54watt. This is over a 120. The "guy" at my local "shop" said it would be enough. But it ends up being around 3 wpg. I have been having alge issues. And very little coralin. My crocca is doing ok but it is high.

Brian

At the very least a single center placed HQI 250W 14k would keep any clam happy long term, then you'll also be able to have blue SPS. Generally you need 7WPG min.

i saw one at the fish store it was huge 20" easy are they still sold .

Watts per gallon is a useless measurement of light.

A quality T5HO fixture will be more than enough light for any clam, if as you said, you don't want to deal with the heat of MH lighting.

I've kept T. maxima, T. crocea, T. squamosa and T. derasa all on the sand bed of a 75, under a 6 bulb Tek5. Now, I'm keeping T. maxima and T. croceas in a 200DD (27" deep) under 10X54 watt T5HO. The T. maximas are on the sand bed.

What's the issues w/ clams direct they haven't had ant clams online for some time?
i finally e=emailed clams direct they have new ownership unable to get any other info to bad maybe they should change thier name to clams zero.

Back