Glass, or Acrylic QT Tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Which would be better?
If I were to use a copper base medication in the QT, will the medication wick into in the acrylic ? Leaving the acrylic tank unsafe for future use?

That's a good question. I would seem that glass would be easier to Sterilize once done that acrylic. But I have no proof just what seems to happen to different types of plastics in everyday use.

I to don't have proof but I would think it would
Be in the silicone on a glass tank. I don't think I
Would take the chance on either after using the copper.

If your using cupramine, it can be removed from the tanks and equipment and even live rock. I had a tank set up for copper treatment a while back. Treated fish for 6 weeks and not long after that I used that tank, rock and all equipment, powerhead and heater and overflow box and all for a frag tank.

Oh, I used it in a glass tank, but all the equipment is plastic or acrylic.

Any of them is fine, being glass, acrylic or silicone. It is and old myth that silicon adsorbs copper. However, it is glass that is more potential of having copper. This is because glass is more susceptible to hard water deposits and more porous than acrylic, where hard water deposits can bring ionic cooper into the carbonate crystal lattice as it precip's out onto the glass. Any of these concern can be dealt with, if it bothers one, simply by washing down the walls with Vinegar or Muriatic Acid.

Any of them is fine, being glass, acrylic or silicone. It is and old myth that silicon adsorbs copper. However, it is glass that is more potential of having copper. This is because glass is more susceptible to hard water deposits and more porous than acrylic, where hard water deposits can bring ionic cooper into the carbonate crystal lattice as it precip's out onto the glass. Any of these concern can be dealt with, if it bothers one, simply by washing down the walls with Vinegar or Muriatic Acid.

One day we will find a question you don't know the answer to. I mean the chances of it happening is highly unlikely but you never know:p

Traded in that charger for something faster yet? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big thanks to all that have replied to my question.
This is one of the reasons I love this sight. Quick fact based response.
I just bought a standard acrylic 55 gal tank for my QT system.
Again thanks all

Peppie

Back