Glass or Acrylic ?? Vote Preference

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mauidiver - check the clownfish category in our fish gallery. Here are the 2 you asked about. The anemones associated with each are in the description: Pink Skunk and Ocellaris. You may want to start a new thread on anemeones so the discussion can be a little more focused :)

Highlands - Welcome to Reef Frontiers! I'm not sure about tempered glass and the scratching. Hopefully someone can add some insight to that.

I have an acrylic tank - and have been really happy with it, especially with all the holes that were drilled in the back.

I'm sure a good scratch could be catastrophic, it is used on the tank bottoms for extra strength but when it gives, it goes all out. This is why you see tempered glass on cars, smaller projectiles is less damaging than large pieces flying through the air. It can be compared to iron & hardened steel, the iron will be softer, bend and give way easier but the steel will hold more pressure until it reaches a point where it will just break in half, won't bend much at all. You use a glass cutter to make a deep scratch in non-tempered glass, then you can break it on that line, it will be a clean cut, you can't do that to tempered glass, it will shatter.

maud, its a personal preference. way out the pros and cons and make a choice.

mauidiver01 - like sryder posted, choosing between an acrylic tank and a glass one is a personal preference. If you go back through this thread, you will see positives and negatives listed. For instance, acrylic scratches easy, but has great clarity and the ability to drill. It also weighs less. Cost of acrylic has since gone up, too. Glass tanks also will scratch, but you can't buff out scratches. They weigh more, and sometimes drilling can be an issue. They are easier to scrape the corraline and algae off of - you can use a razor blade. Hope this helps a bit.

Back