Glass or Acrylic?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyson256031

So I know there are some people out there that would say to use one and not the other. Im cant make up my mind on what type of tank and the Dennison's. I really like glass for the reason of it not scratching when you look at it, but glass tanks are hard to come by in cube forms. The marineland deep dimension 150 gallon cube tank is really the perfect foot print but i'm not a fan of the height being 27" tall.

The other option is having a custom acrylic tank made thats the following dimensions 38x38x24 all internal dimensions. This is exactly 150 gallons.

The last big hurdle is having the over flow be an island setup as this will be in the middle of the room as a center piece. I know this is easier with acrylic and i would love to find a custom glass maker if anyone knows any.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!

PS... After the tank is decided the sump is next to figure out. so any ideas on this would be great also!! lol

Thanks RF

Just a thought, but if you are really set on glass then why not get a quote for a custom glass tank with the dimensions you are after? I love glass for the same reason as it not scratching that easily. That may be an option for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Acrylic scratches but really If your easy on your cleanings it usually not an issue, I have also at times repaired accidental scratches.

If you go with a cube, center overflow then you'll need to drill holes in the bottom center. Factory tanks usually have tempered glass bottoms. The good thing is you can order the tank with the per-drilled holes then they can make them as you need and then temper it, it can be done and very reasonable priced, I already had quotes on this before.

Just some notes.:faint2:

Thanks for the Tips guys! I have Jason at CFI getting me a quote for this as well as a glass maker i just found.

I like acrylic for its strength over glass... but thats because I have 2 kids. Low iron glass is my personnal choice of tank build but it is costly

Im leaning towards the glass also for the ease of cleaning, I'm talking with Barrier about the ELOS line and perhaps having ELOS make me a custom cube. I love the look of the rimless tanks not sure how hard it would be to make a 150+ gallon rimless cube thank though and have it still be very structurally safe.

Im leaning towards the glass also for the ease of cleaning, I'm talking with Barrier about the ELOS line and perhaps having ELOS make me a custom cube. I love the look of the rimless tanks not sure how hard it would be to make a 150+ gallon rimless cube thank though and have it still be very structurally safe.

I would certainly trust Elos. That would be a very cool tank.

Don

Thank you NC2WA, That info is great.

Jason came back with a quote that would be hard to beat with Glass for the following dimensions: 38X38X24 (Internal) This is .5 cell cast acrylic. I asked him to also quote it at .75", Im not a fan of the bowing effect that acrylic as to offer either.

If u get a tank from Jason there will be no bowing. I have a customized built acrylic 375g tank from him.
U r welcome to swing by n see my tank n 125g sump

Last edited:
Good to know! I might have to take you up on that offer when i'm in the area.

Good to know!! LOL I will be sure to bring my pepper spray if things go weird fast haha

You can learn so much about someone in only one thread HAHA... Does anyone run Ziolith media on their setup? I've been reading some information on it and many people say they see great benefits from it. Wanting to get someone on heres personal thoughts.

Trying to figure out the different media's i would like to run, I plan on PFO and Carbon as of now but any other ideas are welcome!

tyson,

don't trust that Krish dude...His sense of humor is skewed. :D:D:D
I plan on running a bio pellet with WM media to control my nitrates and PO4 (once I find a barbed ball value). :)

I havent looked into those, I will do that tonight.

Dont worry, I don't judge people before i meet them LOL Ill give you a fair chance :D

Do many people run a BB or some sort of substrate, Im sure there has been a poll/ large debate on this also LOL

I just made a custom rimless 200 gallon cube....

Back