Glass or Acrylic?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

just had a 60x30x40 deep glass tank made out of starphire glass. It looks very nice.:) The guy who made it used 3/4 thick glass. Only problem i have now is lifting a 700 l/b tank onto it's stand lol.:doh: That attempt will be made this weekend. :whoo:

just had a 60x30x40 deep glass tank made out of starphire glass. It looks very nice.:) The guy who made it used 3/4 thick glass. Only problem i have now is lifting a 700 l/b tank onto it's stand lol.:doh: That attempt will be made this weekend. :whoo:

This sounds like a good time is to be had lol. I see your in Canada so i would ask who made it haha but i don't think that would help me much.:doh: :D haha

I have been talking with Jason at CFi and I think the final dimensions will be 48Lx38Wx24H, And he will also be building a custom sump to make it all pretty...

I just made a custom rimless 200 gallon cube....

Your tank looks really good!! I would totally do this myself if I fully trusted my glass building skills. LOL I still am waiting to hear back from ELOS about a custom tank, they said after shipping it most likely wouldn't be worth it... At least they are honest!

Been doing some more reading but didn't find much on this. Is It more beneficial to have sand if you plan to have a bunch of LPS on the floor of your tank?

Tyson,

Those r nice dimensions

The idea of sand is a personal choice and will get different opinions.
I like sand as it makes the tank look complete. I have 3" of ooglite sugar size sand from Carbisea

Just picked up a Radion unit for the new tank, Will have to get 2-3 more still. So far this thing is amazing!!

Will do asap, The tank is still being made but I have the unit here. lol Went and picked it up from barrier this morning.

What would you recommend for a return pump on a 180G tank? I was thinking a mag 9.5 or 12 would do the trick. to much or to little flow? There will also be 2 mp40's in the tank for flow, ive decided to use those with the radion lights instead of a closed loop system... any thoughts on this as well would be helpful also :)

Last edited:
depends.....if the tank is inside the house, get a pump that is quiet..i dont know if Mag pumps are quiet or not..

Yea it will be in main part of the house LOL the old one i had was very quiet. I was just wondering on the flow.

depends on what u plan on keeping...most ppl that keep SPS that more flow vs those that keep zoas or LPS.

there was a recent thread/poll on this subject...I will try to find it and post it.

Hey Dang how have you been?

Man I stepped away from this hobby for 3 months and now there is a poll for everything!!! Haha

I will be keeping Sps up closer to the LEDs and then LPS mainly all around the tank, no sorties, no nems, I will have some ricordeas/Yumas in the shaded areas as well...

If I remember your return pump is not to produce flow in your tank really, more so to just move water through your sumo a a good pace.

I really like the MP40s but the cost is semi ridiculous lol the big thing I'm debating on is 2 of those or a reeflo hammerhead and 4-8 closed loop holes in the top of the tank for my main flow. I think the hard part is that the rock work won't be normal, this is an island tank so the overflow and rockscaping will all be in the center of the tank.

:yo:
Hey Dang how have you been?

Man I stepped away from this hobby for 3 months and now there is a poll for everything!!! Haha

I will be keeping Sps up closer to the LEDs and then LPS mainly all around the tank, no sorties, no nems, I will have some ricordeas/Yumas in the shaded areas as well...

If I remember your return pump is not to produce flow in your tank really, more so to just move water through your sumo a a good pace.

I really like the MP40s but the cost is semi ridiculous lol the big thing I'm debating on is 2 of those or a reeflo hammerhead and 4-8 closed loop holes in the top of the tank for my main flow. I think the hard part is that the rock work won't be normal, this is an island tank so the overflow and rockscaping will all be in the center of the tank.

sound like you got the great plan,,,just can't wait to see it

if i can get away with sump i will (just for the water volume and benefit of
UV, skimmer,other reactor need for the main tank and dose into main system slowly,so i do not care about return turn the water fast at all ,, slow return pump water that what i want,,,good catched but you don't know why,that one of my secret:second:,now you know,,,specially water change ,,i do it from the sump not from the main tank:yo:i learned a lot from the nature.
BTW welcome back ,,and Happy reefing ,cheer

Last edited:
How much sand do you think a tank with a 48"x38" would need? I was thinking around 80lbs but not sure if thats enough.

haha I like that but i want the natural reef look and i plan to have tons of LPS on the bottom of the tank...

Back