Glass tank bulkhead drilling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My first reef tank is only a 22 gallon (glass was about 1/4" thick). Not many tanks like this one you can find anymore. It is 29lx11wx16h (weird dimensions). Why did I choose such a small tank? One: it was free. Two: I would cost me less to stock the tank (rock, corals, fish). Three: I like doing things the hard way! If you've seen Melev's reef tank,(www.melevsreef.com/29g.html) you'll understand. I will also be using a 10 gallon sump/refugium (custom built) and a Tunze Nano skimmer. I have a feeling that within a year or two I'll be moving up to a 55 gallon or bigger.

i may want to borrow it at some point. I really should drill my sump (old 55gal glass tank) so I can have an external return pump.

Mat

did you drill holes only for return flow, what about overflows? is there a cheap way to put in built in overflows into glass tanks? cause i know those things cost a lot at blue sierra, unless they include more then i know

I really need to get some pictures on here! I drilled the back side of my tank for my overflow (1") into the sump (10 gallon glass). My returns (3/4") are going through a SCWD over the rim of the tank. Mag-5 in-sump return pump (cheaper at MarineDepot.com than your LFS). I made a custom overflow box (6"lx2.5"dx6"h) using acrylic (plexiglass at HomeDepot), my small tablesaw, and aquarium silicone (squeezable tube). The 1" bulkhead that drains into my sump is inside the overflow box on the back wall, centered, and 4" from the water level in the tank. I chose this approach because I wanted to skim the surface water into the sump where the protein skimmers is going to be. Well this is the plan anyways - we'll see tomorrow how it all works!

So far, with just some fresh water tests, everything seems to be holding up great! I guess the real test is the long term so I'll keep you informed if I have a disaster. I siliconed the surface of the joints before I put them together, then I silicone-beaded the joints again (like caulking the seams). It says to wait 72 hours before water goes in - I let it sit 48hrs before I tested it (too impatient).

marineteng-acrylic and glass bond well with silicone if both surfaces are properly cleaned, some people use acrylic for the bracing on glass tanks with good success! OHF- glad everything is working out, as i said it IS easy you just have to do it properly!

man I have my 210g glass that I would love to have drilled but there is no way I am going to do it and I definitely can't just pick up the tank and move it around it weighs a ton!!! Any business's or people that will come to the house to do it so tank not have to be moved? Moving the first time was huge project I had to find lots a strong reliable guys to move it and it was a headache in a half that for sure. My glass is hella thick like 3/4" I think. I gotta double check that though

Back