Glass tank drilling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am not even goi9ng to feel bad for you when the back of your tank explodes

That's a really nice thing to say to someone! I don't know what is going on man, but I think it is really about time you ease up some! It's been almost post after post of negative comments like that from you even after being asked to lighten up a few times already. Incase you didn't know, RF doesn't support that kind of stuff here. The info/advice you give is good, but it gets lost sometimes in the way it is presented.

Last edited:
Here is a good pic of drilling a 90g sump!
DRILLMASTER.jpg

Starting the bit is the hardest part...then just be patient and go slow!
Tape the underside of the tank hole so the glass that is cut doesn't fall and chip/break the opposite pane of glass.
Use the plumbers puddy for a water dam while drilling! Keeps things cool and lubricated!

Staticx...you need to do some research before opening your yap. Holes in a tank do not at all weaken the structural integrity of glass. If they were left empty, they would, but since the glass is replaced with a bulkhead, which is even stronger than the glass, the glass isn't weakened. The only thing that can possibly weaken the glass is if the holes aren't drilled correctly and sanded...which could create stress cracks. If drilled properly and sanded well afterwards, the glass panel ends up stronger once the bulkheads are drilled. Next time you decide to pipe up with some rude comments, make sure you know what you're talking about. Do some research into structural engineering.

Just as a side note here, Perfecto tanks are tempered on all sides. No idea why, but the new ones are, at least 55s and up anyway.

We just finished drilling 45 tanks with no broken ones. Go slow, use a drill press if you can find one with variable speed, keep the bit moistened and it works great.

Barbie

Great picture one thing tho you should be wearing saftey glasses !!! A glass chip in the eye is very painful. Gonna try drilling this afternoon on my new 30 gal. refugium. They want $65 per hole so it DIYS.
Cindy

Back