Glass top on a tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I heard somewhere that it's not a good idea to have a glass top on a tank, is that true? if so, what else can I use to protect the lighting in the canopy?

you can do acrylic it's more clearer, but glass shouldnt be that bad although it is somewhat reflective. also, ive heard of this other stuff like poly-something thats like acrylic but doesnt bow

glass is a good protector for your lighting, though it does diffuse the light somewhat. Not much at first, but salt deposits build up on it fast, and you constantly have to clean it to keep it clear. I had the same problem when I first started. What I use now is egg-crate. It doesn't diffuse the light much, and will protect your lighting, in case it falls. As far as splashing up on the bulb, just make sure the light is high enough, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Generally the reason you don't want a top on your tank is due to how it limits the gas exchange across the surface. Heat build-up can also be a bugger with powerful lighting and tanks with lids.

If you have to have a lid for some reason, I would recomend polycarbonate, and perhaps something to keep a spray of water going over it constantly. That would help with gas exchange, as well as prevent saltcreep buildup.

I use Egcrate on my tank and it does defuse the light a little but it keeps my livestock in the tank and my lights out of the water. I take it that your bulbs are expose to the possability of being splashed with water?

joshinjosh said:
hmm interesting to hear cause eggcrate is also called 'light diffuser', the irony

It is & I've used it on the outer edges to help keep jumpers in the tank. What I did also once was cut the squares out, every other one thus allowing in more light.

Yeah, I removed mine because of the heat. Also, the glass top use to get really foggy. I never used anything afterwards to prevent fish from jumping out other than my canopy which protected 3 sides and the back usually had either equipment, overflow etc to prevent it as well:)

Is there any other way that I can protect my lights from getting wet than using a glass top?

How about an acrilyc top with lots of wholes drilled so that there's some better gas exchange but keeping the inhabitants inside?

That's a good idea Carlos...You'll have to make sure the acrylic is thick enough though that the heat from the lighting doesn't cause it to warp.:)

Carlos if your trying to keep a reef here I'd say eventually you will have to loose that cover, as Luke posted it is almost necessary, things will benefit from it off more than covered. If your keeping fish only & you have a sump with a skimmer or some means to exchange gases then if you can deal with the extra heat you should be ok with a glass top but keep it clean, salt spray will mess up just about anything you put up top.

Back