goby & shrimp combo in a 24g?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Plan>B

Greets all, got a 24g about 2 weeks ago and wondering getting a goby and pistol shrimp combo would be ok for this system. I have a Royal Gramma Basslet
(Gramma loreto) and a Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica) in there now. Would be nice to have one that could help clean the sand.

Looking for options in the next few weeks.

Do you have any idea which type of goby you are considering?

Has your tank cycled? When did you add the Royal Gramma and Firefish? What are your plans as for as the rest of the inhabitants (other fish, inverts, etc).

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get an idea on what you think you'll be keeping, so we can see if the combo will be appropriate.

Do you have any idea which type of goby you are considering?
No... not really... like the shrimp combo idea is all really. But if there is one that could help clean the sand that would be an added bonus.

Has your tank cycled? When did you add the Royal Gramma and Firefish? What are your plans as for as the rest of the inhabitants (other fish, inverts, etc).
Yes, tank fully cycled and I added the two 3 days ago. I also have a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis). My plans are to hopefully add some LPS but after the goby/shrimp I wasn't going to add any thing else besides some replacements of CuC.

Sorry for all the questions.
No worries :)

shrimp gobies do not sift sand.......as far as species go i would look into the Stonogobiops sp. (i.e nematodes, yasha) they stay the smallest of the commonly avail. species. so they would be a good fit in a small tank like yours.

I had a yasha and pistol in my 14 gallon--they don't clean the sand, they burrow in it is all. Fun to watch though!

Meg

I agree with the two posts above. The yasha and pistol are hard to beat and i think they work out great in small tanks!

I had a yasha and pistol in my 5 gallon QT tank. They were in there for about 3 days then poof they were gone. No sign of them at all and I even took all of the rock out of it looking for them. And I was really liking them too and couldnt wait to put them in my main tank.

Back