gonna start a 55 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

machine646

I have a 20 long right now,still pretty new to reefing.I want to make my 55g a reef,with a refuge skimmer,reactor,what I need is advice on what what equipment to get ,I don't have a ton of cash but gonna keep saving and buying part buy part,I want everything I need and no garbage equipment,I have anouther 55g for a refuge would that be to big,please any advice,I'm planning on having it up in the next few months,lighting I was looking at 2x250w mh with 4x54w t5s.would that be enough for sps I want to be able to keep anything,I recently saw the most awsome tank I've ever seen ,def made me see what can be done

That lighting will be fine. More than fine, actually.

For sumps and all that, the bigger the sump, the better. The only questions is where would it go? Unless the stand is unique, a 55 gallon wont fit beneath it.

The sump will fit under the stand its an old piece of furniture that has been customized,right now there's a 55 on top(African cichlids) and anouther 55 underneath tryed it there to male sure there plenty of room has 12" above 8" extra on width and 6" on length

That sounds like it will work out great. As long as you have the head room to get a skimmer in and out of the sump. The lighting will be perfect for sps. You will need an overflow box. On the 55, I used an eshopps pf800. Then the return pump I used is an eheim 1250.

I currently have a 55 gallon up & running. I used to have a larger tank with sump and all the fixins but I do not use a sump now. My tank has 3 pumps for circulation, a HOT Magnum Canister filter that I only run at night, a Backpack Skimmer & my lighting is 2 x 175 watt metal halides, 2 x 95 watt actinic compact fluorescents & 6 x 3 watt Cree LEDs. To be honest I find it easier without the sump and my tank is healthy & growing fast. If you need any help or have any questions you can give me a call anytime. Here is a pic of my tank...

Attachments

• 2011-11-30 16.49.20.jpg
    2011-11-30 16.49.20.jpg
    98.6 KB
Hey juizy, how long have you had the 55g running on a canister filter? I found that my canister became a huge nitrate producer once my tank matured. Im going opposite, I am ditching the canister and going sump/refuge. Should make water changes on my system less stressful on the inhabitants as I can put the new water in the sump instead of pouring it through the top.

I had my original tank up & running for almost 2 years with a canister filter set up just like my current tank but with the filter on the floor instead of hang on. Then I wanted bigger so I upgraded to a 92 gallon corner with overflows and sump & all the fixins. I regretted it more than anything. My 55 gallon was amazing, easy to keep up & I never had a problem the entire time. So after being out of the hobby for a year & going through withdrawls I set up my new tank exactly like my original 55 gallon. It has been set up now for 3 months, everything is doing good and the growth of my corals is amazing! I do my small weekly water changes, top off daily & all my levels are good. The only problem I have is from some live rock I bought from someone that had hair algae and they did not tell me. I do not mind it so much (it looks natural to me) but if it starts to affect my corals I am going to replace the live rock when I get my income tax return...

Oh and with the HOT canister it is super easy to change/clean media. I clean it every week and change my media at that time as well.

Back