Good overflow or not?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

I purchased this about 3 months ago from a friend for $20. Should I use this in my 29g or not. I don't know anything about the brand (Inland Sea). I'ts about 6'' wide X 10 '' deep X 10'' high with an inner tube dimension of 1 1/4''. I'm not using a sump as of now but want to. I'm thinking a 10 or 20g sump. Do you think this would be a good addition or not? If so, what gph pump would you suggest? Thanks for any help!
salt152.jpg

That almost resembles a CPR overflow how it's constructed ( http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=CS90&Category_Code=CPROverflow ). The CPR overflows are nice, but you would want to use an aqualifter or something similar to help it keep it's siphon. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...e=M3-AQUALIFTERPUMP&Category_Code=CPROverflow I'm not positive if the one you have works the same way, but if it has a nipple on the top, which it looks like it does, then it must work the same was. I had a CPR overflow and worked perfectly fine on my 75gal. As for how much flow it could handle would be easily estimated by the plumbing/bulkhead size on the overflow. These are the flow rates of the CPR's. HTH and good luck:)

Model Flow Rate Outflow Size Width
CS50 300 GPH 3/4" Bulkhead 6 1/2"
CS90 600 GPH 1" Bulkhead 8"
CS100 800 GPH 1" Bulkhead 10"
CS102 1400 GPH 2-1" Bulkheads 10"
CS150 1600 GPH 1 1/2 " Bulkhead 10"

Its a standard weir type overflow. Its good for an external overflow. the main drawback of any external overflow is the buildup of air bubbles in the tube or weir portion of the overflow. Yours has a nipple built in or mod'ed in so you can attach either a powerhead (airline tubing from the nipple to the powerheads air intake), or use an aqualifter pump like Krish suggests. doing either of these should suck out any air bubble build up.

Nick

Looks good to me. I'm not too familiar with this type of overflow, as I have the U-tube version, but I've heard many good things about weir type overflows. As was stated earlier, a mod might be necessary to help it keep the siphon.

Back