Good PH levels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

I recently got a PH monitor and found out for the first time how much my ph swings in a given day. During the day, my ph is at 8.1, and at night it gets as low as 7.9. Most people have told me you want to keep your PH within + or - .2 increments throught the day/night. So my questions are, 1. Is my ph swing an acceptable amount? 2. Is my ph low if I'm keeping mostly sps?

Thanks

I recently got a PH monitor and found out for the first time how much my ph swings in a given day. During the day, my ph is at 8.1, and at night it gets as low as 7.9. Most people have told me you want to keep your PH within + or - .2 increments throught the day/night. So my questions are, 1. Is my ph swing an acceptable amount? 2. Is my ph low if I'm keeping mostly sps?

Thanks

Your PH is fine.:)

Don

cool. Is there any benefit/drawbacks to running a higher PH....say 8.3-8.5?

A little higher is better, BUT Ph is one of those things that if you try to gain total control over it. It will just control you and cause grief.

Don

Your PH range is perfectly acceptable for keeping SPS type corals. It is the average of many tanks that are beginning to keep SPS corals.

If you run a refugium with a reverse lighting schedule it will run around 8.15 - 8.30. I have not been able to visually detect any difference in the corals running at the higher range. A kalkwasser drip or Kalkwasser reactor will also increase your range about the same as a refugium.

HTH,
Kevin

Back