good plumbers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
ohh boy i think we're in big trouble :doubt: .
yesterday for some reason when the husband was taking a shower, all of a sudden he said that the water came out really really hot (to the point of burning :lol: ... it was funny but :confused: )
now today when he was about to take a shower the water just came out cold (he had to take a very very cold shower :lol: and he's sick :shock: ) he thinks that our water heater thingy is broken, what do you doods/doodettes think?
does anyone know a good plumber around Everett/ Mill Creek area ? .... i don't wanna take a cold shower but i'm willing to ..... just to get it over ..... hopefully it won't all of a sudden come burning hot :lol: :doubt: .

Not a plumber, but my arm chair plumbing would suggest that your (I'm assuming) electric water heater bit the big one. I would assume that the thermostat got stuck on, and heated the water up until the element broke. So there was a lot of very hot water, then none later.

The question is, is this the only fixture that is showing the lack of hot water ? If so, then my analysis above has a chance. If not (you have hot water other places in the house). Then it is something screwy with your shower fixture.

Just my 2cents.

either way, it's plumber time :( (don't look directly at the crack! it will burn your eyes)

Jack

Not a plumber, but my arm chair plumbing would suggest that your (I'm assuming) electric water heater bit the big one. I would assume that the thermostat got stuck on, and heated the water up until the element broke. So there was a lot of very hot water, then none later.

The question is, is this the only fixture that is showing the lack of hot water ? If so, then my analysis above has a chance. If not (you have hot water other places in the house). Then it is something screwy with your shower fixture.

Just my 2cents.

either way, it's plumber time (don't look directly at the crack! it will burn your eyes)

yeah first the water was really burning hot and the next day it was freezing everywhere :p ... so we're definetly gonna replace the whole thing :( .

the hot and cold showers are fun, you never know what you are going to get next =P

LOL!! you know we checked to see how hot the water was and it got to 175 :eek: so unless we wanna boil ourselves then it's fine :lol: or if we wanna turn ourselves into pop-cicles :lol: .

so do you get any hot water anywhere now ?

yeah but only burning hot :doubt: .. the husband found a switch that says medium/hot/cold and he put it in medium but still we can't leave our hands in there because it gets super hot and not only in the shower :p .

Today we're gonna check for water tanks and just switch the darn thing :( .

you know when I bought my house I had a similar problem. It turned out to be that there was a heat reclamation system that took extra heat off the heat pump and circulated it into the hot water heater. It sounds like a good idea but what happened is that we would 170F blasts of water while taking a shower. WHen we were in the shower and the heat pump came on, it would superheat the shower water!

I thought my water heater was malfunctioning and installed a whole-house tankless system, only to have it fault. That's when I found out that the tankless will trip itself if the heat goes too high as a way to protect the unit (and person I assume). I had to pull the heat reclamation out of the loop which really was just shutting a valve or two. Then all was good.

You might try draining some water out of the botton the tank (the valve close to the bottom). If you have sediment built up in the tank, I think it can possibly cover one of the temperature sensors.

I have had "too hot one day and nothing the next" problem in the past, and draining the sediment helped a lot.

If your tank is 10 or more years old, it is probably due for replacement anyway. I don't believe in waiting until it leaks. Have you checked your circuit breaker for the tank or is it gas? If gas, is the pilot on? mower7 has a good point. I used to manage an apartment complex and used Benla to replace our hot water tanks. My tank is now 10 years old and will probably call them within the coming year to replace the tank.

just go tankless guys...I mean really!

Agree. Tanks are for fish.

We put a tankless (electric) under the sink when we added a bathroom almost 10 years ago. We are happy with ours, and the technology has gotten much better since then.

If I was closer (and not insanely busy building my own house) I'd offer to come up and install a new one for you. I installed a tankless gas heater to heat the hydronic flooring in our new house which works great. We'll have a separate tankless to heat the water for fixtures and appliances. I also just installed a water tank for my parents. It's not all that hard to do, but if you're not very handy it also doesn't cost that much to have someone come out and do it for you. If you go tankless for your whole house, make sure it's big enough. A lot of people get a heater that doesn't put out enough hot water and then get mad when the temperature isn't hot enough. Takagi makes some great units, the TK-D20 is perfect for a whole house. The TK-Jr is what I'm using to heat the flooring. It keeps a 2000 sf house as hot as I'd like. Here's the link for a place with the best prices I've found. It's worth e-mailing for a quote! http://www.plumbingsupply.com/takagi_tkd20.html Takagi is made in Japan and has very good reviews. I hear Bosch Aquastars are good also, but I don't have any experience with them!

Josh

my whole-house tankless is electric and was a snap to install. I got a "high-end" unit because my well water is cold. But mine measures incoming temp., volume, etc. and only uses enough power to get the water to the set outgoing temp. It's very efficient.

wwouu thank you all :) .
we looked around for electric tanks (since it'd be a pain to switch to gas according to the hubby :p ), then my husband's boss new a dood that is a plumber and he came and fixed the tank, he said that we could have fixed the tank for only 14 bucks but he charged us 114 :lol: .... well i guess better than spending a couple more 100s :p .

Back