Good Reference Books

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey guys,

I am new to reefkeeping, and have just set up my system (75 DT, 20 Fuge, 50 sump.) I had a FOWLR tank for 6 years about 8 years ago, but am just getting back into the hobby.

I have some decent reference books for marine fish and invert basics, but I was looking for a good reference book that was more specific to inverts (anemones, sps and lps.)

I would like a book that has:

1. Basic info on coral types

2. A lot of pictures of different corals and information about individual species.

3. Diseases and Troubleshooting

Figured I might ask here and see what your guys favorites are. :)

rob

Hey Rob,

I have 3 great series that I use and would endorse "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" by Fossa & Nilsen, "The Reef Aquarium" by Delbeek & Sprung plus the 'Oceanographic Series' by Julian Sprung especially the "Corals - a quick reference guide" which is almost a must have when coral shopping IMHO.

Todd

It has a few problems, but overall I'd recommend Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals." It gives you all the things on your list, gives you hints on what kind of lighting/placement a coral may like, and is not written at a level to overwhelm a beginner. Once you digest that one, the other books mentioned are also good.

Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Coral."
Anthony Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation"
J.E.N. Veron's "Corals of the World, Vol. 1, 2, 3"
and a MUST have for any marine aquarium keeper,
Robert M. Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists "

Wow, checking all these out on amazon and ebay. Some are pretty pricey, especially the series. They all look like great books though, and I would eventually like to own them all.

So it seems the best jumping off point would maybe be:

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric Borneman

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series)

and maybe:
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Microcosm/T.F.​H. Professional)

Each of those is about $45 bucks used. The series (ie.
Corals of the World, Vol. 1, 2, 3 (in Slip Cover) I found for $90 on ebay.

I'll wait a bit and see what other people think before I order, but all of these so far look great.

Thanks for the input guys!

If you have any opinion on ranking of which I should get first, let me know. Thinking I'll just get 2-3 to start with, since they are fairly pricy

rob

Hey Rob,

I think that is a great way to start your book collection. Its a wise investment and if more people were to have similar responsability in thier beginings it would be a better for all. Looking at my library its almost $cary.

Todd

You can learn alot if you just read what your fellow reefers write. I've learned alot of thing going to meeting in my community and met alot of people that have a trumendous amount of knowledge when it comes to aquariums.

Yea, I think forums and community are the best source for specific info, but it is nice to have some pictures and a book of general info, so I know the right questions to ask when it gets more in depth :)

the reef aquarium vol 3 from julian sprung and that other guy? i have that book in what i call my 2nd office, the bathroom, its when mother nature calls, i think the best

Personally, I'd rank the Borneman book as #1 priority for corals, but if you don't have Fenner's book I'd get that as #1a!

If that "Corals: A Quick Reference Guide" is the book by Sprung - I was disappointed. Nice pictures and descriptions. But it seemed to me like the little "care" charts for each coral were so broad that they were useless. Granted... it's tough to make generalizations about an entire species, but in my opinion the charts were useless.

The big 3 volume Veron series is very very nice, but mostly for identification. I wouldn't worry about it now, but just put it on your Christmas list for later this year!

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide is by sprung.

I have all these marked in my amazon wish list now. I think I'll buy 2 of them, maybe the borneman and fenner, then have the Corals: A Quick Reference Guide next in queue and the 3 volume Corals of the World set aside for a birthday/christmas present.

Thanks for all your input guys, takes a lot of the guessing game out of purchasing reference books. All the books listed seem very good, and all have great reviews. I'll get them all added to my library over time :)

rob

Back