Good skimmer for sps 125 gal tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ima make one i tell ya what!

Lowest i have seen so far is $365! But they would be nice! I bet the boyfriend could talk em down to $250!

If you find any sea swirls or wavy sea for sale. Grab them as they are great equipment to mount powerheads to and you would be able to move them as your corals grow out. I am going through a 270g project myself. I will have 2 wavy sea with Tunze 6100 (3200gph each) mounted to them, 2 vortech MP40one on each long end and another Tunze 6100 on the back right corner to keep the back of the tank flushed of detritus. With the return pump I will have 17000-18000gph of flow. What ever your budget is for your project tripple or quadruple it :lol::lol:. Good luck on your build!

Ima make one i tell ya what!

Lowest i have seen so far is $365! But they would be nice! I bet the boyfriend could talk em down to $250!

What are you goijng to make? Your BF will talk someone to sell vortechs for $250? If so there will be a line for this:D

Well since that is kinda out of our price range would it be possible to do a closed loop and just have extra holes with out using them and then if we wanted to use them just switch them around or is that hard to do on a running system?
We have power heads in our current tank and i REALLY hate them! i mean its cool that you can move them around they dont move around as much as the thing that the water comes out of OMG brain fart!!!! As far as direction, like i cant for the life of me to get my korila power head to get to the bottom front crner of the tank with out having it on the front glass ware as those "other things" even if stuck in one spot i can point it so it will flow there.

Sorry blonde moment correct me if im wrong and tell me what im talking about. :D

What are you goijng to make? Your BF will talk someone to sell vortechs for $250? If so there will be a line for this:D

Im pretty nifty better yet my dad likes a challange. :D

The boyfriend thinks he can haggle people down to nothing. lol

If you find any sea swirls or wavy sea for sale. Grab them as they are great equipment to mount powerheads to and you would be able to move them as your corals grow out. I am going through a 270g project myself. I will have 2 wavy sea with Tunze 6100 (3200gph each) mounted to them, 2 vortech MP40one on each long end and another Tunze 6100 on the back right corner to keep the back of the tank flushed of detritus. With the return pump I will have 17000-18000gph of flow. What ever your budget is for your project tripple or quadruple it :lol::lol:. Good luck on your build!

I have no idea what you just said im going to bed and i'll be back in the morning to figure it out. :rolleyes:

you dont want the octopus version of this skimmer, you want the SWC/MSX version, they are the innovators of this design, and have better venturi and pinwheels for the pump.

how are they different arent thing using they exact same pumps and everything?

You could be thrifty like me and use the sunsun powerheads. I order them from China for around 48bux after shipping. They push 3200gph and have a magnet back, which is ver strong. They are also quiet and reliable so far. (8mths on 1, 2mths on another). I haven't found anything that can touch them for flow and price.

You could be thrifty like me and use the sunsun powerheads. I order them from China for around 48bux after shipping. They push 3200gph and have a magnet back, which is ver strong. They are also quiet and reliable so far. (8mths on 1, 2mths on another). I haven't found anything that can touch them for flow and price.

Im all for doing things out of the norm kinda like my eaby light thats made in china lol it works great!

Do you have a website link?

I like how much smaller the powere cord is on those.

Thanks roscoe i think i will go with two or three of those.

Last edited:
Man that video i scool. This looks like a decent pump for $60 and and does up to 3900gph (15000L) if my calculation is right.

Back