good starter soft corals?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

allenho1

Hi all. I recently set up a standard 75 gallon glass tank for my first reef tank (I have a lot of FOWLR experience). I have about 100 lbs of live rock, bare bottom, and a Remora HOB skimmer, along with a 300 gph powerhead for circulation. For lighting, I have a 48" quad T5 HO fixture with 4 10,000K bulbs. Current inhabitants include about a dozen Kenya trees and 3 Devil's Hands (each about 4" across when open) plus 4 blue damsels, a 3" yellow tang, and a pair of tomato clowns.

The question I have is: what are some good soft corals or anemones for this tank? I'm looking for something colorful but easy to keep, and that would be ok with the T5 lighting. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

You could keep a variety of softies and LPS. As far as softies mushrooms, ricordea, yuma, zoas, and palys. LPS look at euphyllia(frogspawn, hammers, torches), favias, acans, are all fairly hardy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I dont do big anemones but I have rock/flower nems and they are one of the few that stay put, hardy, and stay a reasonable size.

You could keep a variety of softies and LPS. As far as softies mushrooms, ricordea, yuma, zoas, and palys. LPS look at euphyllia(frogspawn, hammers, torches), favias, acans, are all fairly hardy.

^+1 to all ak-reefer stated. Your lighting will actually be good for most anything. I would probably swap out 2 of the 10K for aquablue special bulbs.

Totally missed that yeah I would do a color variation on the bulbs, also make sure you are using good bulbs yes they are more expensive but are well worth it in the long run.

Thanks for all the great input. I would love to add some pink-tipped condys but am concerned about the light level needed. Does anyone have experience with condys at T5 HO light levels?

Back