Got a rubbermaid sump, lets see it!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AquaKnight

I'm leaning towards a rubbermaid type sump for my 125gal, since there really isn't a standard tank that fits very well. The fuge, would be contained in a smaller rubbermaid, that would be drilled to overflow, into a larger rubbermaid, that would act as the equipment area and the return. All this going on, inside my 22" max height stand. The only hitch I'm catching, is how in the world would I make bubble trap baffles for it?

So if anyone has ideas or actually has a rubbermaid sump, share some pics of your setup (even cooler if it's under tank too;))...

mines not under tank but here it is

img12903yu.jpg

its 2 100gal tubes and a 50 gal frag tank. all the water from the main tanks go's into the first tube with the skimmer. then i have 2-2" drains that 90 up to control water height they drain into the second tube and then the pump pumps water back to the main tanks.

you can silicone in acrylic baffles but silicone doesn't stick very well to the tubes or acrylic so pile it on (=ugly)

if your thinking of using a Rubbermaid tote container be very careful. they tend to be weak and light over time will degrade them

did u say a fuge to the equipment? by that meaning skimmers? because to have the most effective fuge it should be placed after skimmers and filters or althos delicous pods wont make it to ur tank

did u say a fuge to the equipment? by that meaning skimmers? because to have the most effective fuge it should be placed after skimmers and filters or althos delicous pods wont make it to ur tank
Well that plan would be a bit different. It would have been two containers on either end with the fuge draining into the return. The fuge would have been fed by a seperate intake. The skimmer/equip. side by a different.

I think I'm going a diff. route. Looking for opinions on this set-up. It one big 36" rubbermaid, with 2 smaller ones inside. The one on the right would be the 'fuge' area and would hold the sand and macro. The larger one on the left would be the return area. The return area would be feed by overflow, with a slit cut into the side towards the fuge. The skimmer will be an external recirc, so it would be fed directly from the tank, and it would return into a small area between the large tub and the return tub. That way bubbles would have to travel all the way around the return tub and it would act as a makeshift bubble trap. The main intake would fed above the fuge area, inbetween the main tub and the fuge tub.

The problem I see is that the fuge one is so small, the macro will definitely be growing out and into the rest of the sump. This will probably force up my husbandry duties. The other equipment feeds will be a Maxi 600 for two reactors (one running rowa, one carbon). And a big UV, haven't looked into one of those yet. The positive I see is that I'll only need one overflow, split between my skimmer and the sump. Any opinions on this current design are welcome. :)

sump.jpg

Back