Got a TLF Reactor 150 with Bio pellets for an early V-day Present, should i use it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

phasezero

So my fiance let me pick some stuff out at the LFS, only things i could find that i didn't already have were a media reactor and a Hydor Smartwave controller. I'm contemplating whether i should use the bio pellets or not. My 55g SPS tank parameters are usually 0-5 Nitrates and i don't usually bother with phosphate tests because the color table for my API is just terrible for this particular test. The shades don't even match. Even though i use the local tap water up here in Bellingham I have no algae problems whatsoever. Maybe i'll start to see a patch grow on a frag disk that i can get rid of by placing it on my rocks over night. Should i even bother using the bio pellets to achieve an even lower nutrient system? I just picked it out on a whim cause we were in a hurry and i figured i could probably use it for something down the road.

Most folks that use Pellets use them because they have an issue with nutrients they they are having a hard time dealing with. The carbon that is in the pellets is one of three things that the bacteria (which will reduce nutrients) use. The other are Nitrogen (nitrate and so on) and Phosphate. SO if you dont have even one of these the process wont happen. SO in listening to what you have currently in your tank I would say its you probably not going to have any real effect??

Mike

Back