Got my first coral...WOOT!...and more...No WOOT!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lagavulin

Well I got a nice little Green Star Polyp mat from my LFS yesterday. My first foray from the FOWLR to some version of a reef! WOOT!

I'm about 3 months into a cycled 150 w 25 sump. Low light with two 95w VHO, Atinic & 50/50.

Parameters zero on the really bad stuff, 2ppm nitrate, 450 Ca, phosphate a little high at 1 PPM but water changes are kicking in more frequent & I have an RO/DI now. Pretty low on the bioload & I will keep it that way, (only four small fish right now & for awhile).

168 #'s mostly FIJI LR and skimmer. Going to run some Phosgauard in the cannister.

Nary a ONE hitchhiker BAD or GOOD till my little Star acqusition yesterday. Have seen a poylp come out but there is about a 4" britsle worm and a PRIME example of an Aiptasia, in full bloom...Dang.
I THINK I have a Pepperment Shrimp, (I have seen the little guy exactly twice since he went into the tank, the last time about 3 weeks ago, and I only see part of him if I sneak up on the tank in the dark with a flashlight peering into LR caves), so I can't really count on him.

What to do? I don't want to hose my new coral rooting the stupid Aiptasia but I don't want the thing moving in either. Lag.

Last edited:
get ro boiling in the microwave, mix in kalk to a slurry, suck it up in a syringe and stick it in his little ugly face and fill it full of PH 12 death. Oh YEAH!!!!! Love killing aptaisia.

I called my LFS & they had me a baggy of Kalk & a syringe waiting when I stopped by.

I'll nail the little bugger tonight.:evil:

Lagavulin said:
I called my LFS & they had me a baggy of Kalk & a syringe waiting when I stopped by.

I'll nail the little bugger tonight.:evil:
:idea: i had a problem in my 55 reef with them , i re-moved the piece of rock and placed it into a hosp. tank with 2 peppermint shrimp.... ( 2 gal. tank )... and in three days they ate the aptasia... Yaaaaaaaaa !... my worry was the aptasia spliting and getting to other areas of my reef... keep us posted on you solution.... cw.

Got a Green Star frag you can trade me? You can have this boy, Polyps, worm, and Aiptasia and;) ...all I am saying is give peace a chance...:D I haven't off'd him yet I'm going to give the shrimp, (if like I said I still have the peppermint I think I saw my brittle star winking at me about something...) a couple days to do my dirty work...hope hope...then I'll use the Kalk. I'm just a little nervous about doing in some of my coral this dude is comingled right in amongt the polyps. Lag.

Last edited:
Ok...that did not go so hot. Made the paste. Jabbed the little sucker. By the time he pulled back & I injected I do't know how much he got. It went through the rock and I got about a 15 to 20cc shot of Kalk in my water. Looked like a precipitate snow storm for a few minutes.

These sucker's are ticking me off...on closer inspection I got at least three on the rock, one big one & smaller ones. I'm thinking of taking the coral back to the LFS if this didn't do the pest in.

I still have a problem here even if I got the big one. I might try another Peppermint but this coral is right by where my cleaner shrimp hang out so I don't think a peppermint wants anything to do with it...krap...

Lemon juice works really well. I killed all of mine off in no time with it. Don't balst too much kalk into the water at one time that's not good. Just give it enough of a squeeze that it starts to come out of the mouth. Stick it in the base. From my experience this works the best. HTH.

Try getting them out with a turkey baster...I know it sounds silly but I got rid of several majano that way, it might work with the aiptasia too.....

Back