got new xenia :) any advice on kepping him alive

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

august213

Well got some xenia from my lfs wasent cheap but it was so tempting well if anyone out there would give me any advice in kepping xenia alive and thriving please reply to this or pm me

It will like a medium flow and make sure and check your iodine incase you need to supplement. One thing with Xenia it either likes you tank or it doesn't, if it does it will grow like a weed. Then there is a chance of you selling some back to the LFS.

In my experiences with Xenia, It seemed to thrive in higher ALK settings (10+). Just be careful to not raise alk too fast. I no longer keep it because of other corals that do not do too well with higher alk.

Last edited:
well if it dies let me know you pay shiping ill send u some for the cost of shiping its growing like a weed in my 75g sticking to the back wall and I pull it off the rock and toss it into the garbadge disposal almoast weekly

Well I payed 45 dollars for my xenia
So medium flow and how about the lighting
Thanks for the offer boats im pretty sure I would be willing to get some from you

Well I payed 45 dollars for my xenia
So medium flow and how about the lighting
Thanks for the offer boats im pretty sure I would be willing to get some from you

$45.00 :eek: What kind of Xenia silver, pom-pom? Some people on the board here just give it away as freebies or it gets tossed in the trash or sump.

Depending on the species of xenia you have, it may want high light. My red sea pulsing xenia likes extremely high light, while I know that there are a lot of other species that do just fine with medium light levels.

again, that depends on certain variables. I can cut mine down to nothing in my 240 and in two weeks have a colony the size of a basketball again. But that's in a high light high nutrient environment.

Depends on the nutrients in the water and parameters. Give it a few months and you'll wish you never would of added it in your tank. It takes over everythign and is a PITA to get rid off. On the bright side it's an easy coral to care of.

Back