Got polyp extension?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I forgot about this thread. Nice shots guys. I love seeing the extension from corals that you wouldn't expect them from. I love it more when non reefing friends see it. They are always blown away by the tenticals that come out of a coral.

CloseupCandyCane.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Here's one from when I had my 38gal cube up and running. I can't remember what it was identified as, but was harvested from the wild here. Usually it was all purple, but when I tossed in coral frenzy it use to come out like this. Pretty cool! :)

Hey Krish. That looks very similar to my purple gorgonian that was grown in the Florida Keys area. They're also native to the Carribean. Purple Tree Gorgonian (Eunicea sp.) is what it looks like to me. :D

Cheers,
Alex

what type of feeding baster do u use...trying to find a good one that spits out 1 mysis shrimp a time??

Wow. Those black sun corals are saweet! Why did you end up getting rid of them?

Too much aiptasia going on in the tank it was in and it was easier feeding it in te small tank compared to my 65. Tore down the small tank to free up some space and have less water changes. It was killing my back doing weekly wc on a 65, 30, 12, and the 10 it was in with a leaf fish. A club member of mine has it and I'm sure he'd frag a piece off fro me if I wanted it back. In the process of setting up a 225 so I can break down the rest of the tanks.

About time to move that Pink Bubble Coral to a more open location. My Pink Bubble and Frogspawn had a "thing" about attacking each other. I always caught them in time before the killed each other.

I have never seen polyp extension like this from an SPS coral! My Purple pocillopora colony started going crazy. This was about 20 minutes after lights out and a good feeding of Mysis shrimp.

[video]http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/faciosity/?action=view&current=DSCN5990.mp4[/video]

Some of the polyps on the right are stretching almost an inch long!

Last edited:
Thats really cool. Mine are like that from time to time also. Corals are so pretty, but when they open up and extend their tentacles, they are so much prettier, arent they!

There are about 50 corals upstream from it and another 50 corals downstream from it, but nothing too close or too new. It is in a spot where it gets really good alternating flow, and it actually catches the mysis shrimp when I feed. That side has looked like that all day long too. Actually, a lot of my corals looked wide, colorful and fully extended the last couple days. Must be doing something right!

I've had quite a few of the Pocillopora's in my tanks do a really good polyp extention such as that from time to time. It is very cool to watch.

THx for sharing the video, very cool indeed.
Alex

Back