Gotfish's 75g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gotfish

First off, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice in one form or another. The people on this forum are first rate at helping those of us who are just getting into the hobby. Now on with the show I guess. I haven't gotten the whole thing setup quite yet. I still need to put on my overflow box and finalize setting up the sump, but I figured I'd post some pics.

I got a good deal on dailydriven911's LR which looked great in his tank, but is pretty sparse in my tank.
HPIM0782.jpg

Some of the life that was on the rock.
HPIM0777.jpg

HPIM0779.jpg

My first sump with a lot of gooped on silicone, but it does hold water so I'm happy.
HPIM0772.jpg

And finally, this is shortly after transferring LR from my 29g. Behind all that silt is a pretty nice rock scape at least I hope. It was hard for me to see it in person.:oops:
HPIM0785.jpg

It will settle but unfortunately you will not. It is a constant, "this has to move her" or that would look better there". It never ends. Tank looks good will be following on to see it as it progress's

Yep, it started but will never end!
I advise to get a good set of "GRABBERS" so you don't need to keep reaching in the tank for every little thing!

I have a couple questions if anyone can answer them, that would be great. First, there is some encrusting monti that is already bleaching out on the very center of it. Is that just because the change in water/lighting? Jayson's lighting was a 250w MH if I remember right, I'm running 6x54 t5's. Will it eventually settle down and bring it's color back?

Second, there is also a small frag of birdsnest, any chance of this living? Reason I say that is I always hear and read that you shouldn't add any SPS for 6 months or more.

That is true, Did you use all fresh saltwater, live rock, substrate during the setup or were you able to pull some live rock out of another tank. I only ask because you may be going through a cycle. In which you will get your spikes in ammonia and nitrites. Have you tested your water. If you have post your numbers so that we can have a little more information to help you with.

The LR the sps are on is from a friend of mine and I also transferred the LR from my BC29. Total amount of rock is about 80lbs. His rock was in his tank around a year I believe and mine is going on 9 months. The sand is new and the only bit that is live is in my sump which also came from my BC29. I doubt it has anything to do with a cycle. The monti started to bleach an hour after putting it in the tank. The polyps in the bleached area still come out also.

As far as the water itself, the ph is a bit low and I'm slowly bringing it up.
Ph - 8.2
Mag - 1250 - currently raising this up as well.
Kh - 9
Salinity - 1.024
Ca - 500 - I know it seems high, but that's what Oceanic salt measures at when freshly mixed.

I'm guessing that the monti should color back up once it acclimates to the new light/water conditions.

Last edited:
Yeah Kerry tank is looking great! :)

Thanks for the rock Jayson. That stuff has some great stuff on it and the shapes are what I had in mind in the first place. I know I probably don't have quite as much rock as some others would suggest, but I prefer this type of look rather then the tanks that are packed full.

Figured I'd post up some new pics. I've changed out the lights from stock to some UVL/Geisemann and things sure look a lot nicer. Also I've added a couple things. Enjoy.

HPIM0844.jpg

HPIM0811.jpg

HPIM0823.jpg

HPIM0813.jpg

HPIM0806.jpg

Some updated shots for those that like that sort of thing. Not much has gone on with the tank overall obviously since it's only been a couple weeks, but I have added some stuff and the rest is finally acclimated and growing.

FTS
HPIM0874.jpg

Some red star polyps I got from Saltybell.
HPIM0876.jpg

Some growth shots
Before
HPIM0803.jpg

Now
HPIM0868.jpg

HPIM0869.jpg

You can see the tissue growth on this one
Before
HPIM0805.jpg

Now
HPIM0871.jpg

This was bleached out once I put the LR in the tank
HPIM0804.jpg

Now
HPIM0872.jpg

And finally, most of the algae that was on the rock when I got it is now gone thanks to this guy.
HPIM0881.jpg

I knew that monti would come around again but wow I didn't think those little frags were big enough to make it...:lol: Looks like they like your tank...:)

Got a couple pics of the seldom seen pistol and goby. He does this once a week. Just doing a little rearranging and house cleaning I guess.

HPIM0896.jpg

HPIM0897.jpg

The skimmer is an NW-150. Lights are 6x54 Nova extreme pro with a combo of geisemann/UVL bulbs. The sump/fuge is just a 20g tall with an ocean runner 2500 return pump. Also have 2 k3's. I use bulkreefsupply.com for my supplements.

I think the reason for the coral growth being what it is is due to the Oceanic salt which is high in calcium, but that's just a guess on my part.

Back