GPH??? How much x gals of tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BJTenn

Yes I tried to search, but I'm frustrated and need more flow I know. I just don't think I need 20x75 gals - 1500gph...

I know you have to compensate for uplift to tank, etc.
I know it depends on what you want/have.

I just have fish and mainly softies I think.

But want to add anything suitable to reef. So I know I need plenty of flow.

Tnx
BJ

Yeah, you need quite a bit of it. For one, your live rock sheds and as a result, if you don't catch all of the deadspots in your tank to blow it off to be siphoned off, skimmed off, mechanically filtered off etc, then it will degrade water quality and promote nuicance algae to grow. Also, corals rely on it to bring their food to them as they can't move around to search for it for themselves. It's debatable how much flow you need because every tank is different, but a guidline to go by is you want complete coverage in your tank so as to eliminate any deadspots. What I usually do to test my flow is throw some flakes in the tank and watch where it goes. If it never rests anywhere and continues circling all over the place, then I know I'm on the right track. When I had my 75gal I had over 5,000 gph in there until I decided my flow was sufficient:)

WOW! Now that's flow girly.

The lfs said 20 (new guys on the block I think they will be better)

Foster & Smith say 4

When I took my water to the doctor, same lfs, they said 10 was acceptable.

You had like 60 times didn't you?

How did you keep from blowing stuff around, was it bear bottom then?

LOL...It wasn't flow that blasted at one thing but a gentle flow that was spread out over the tank. I had one Tunze putting out 1600gph at one end of the tank pointed at the front glass in the center, another Tunze @ 1850 gph doing the exact same thing from the other end of the tank, 750 gph coming from my sump through a sea-swirl that rotated about 180 degrees every minute and then a closed loop that came over the top of my tank, branched off into 2 outputs giving me about another 950gph.

Here's an older shot of my old 75gal before I rotated that left Tunze to blow at the front glass like the right side

he thinks you're a girl!!!!! he said girly!!!! krish is a guy...i think he has been depressed about people thinking he is a girl ....cheer up krish:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFL!!!

I'm going to have to post "I'M NOT A BOY!!!!!!"

ROFL! BJ is a girl:p I'm not depressed Ron...I don't mind people thinking I am a girl. Pics speak for themselves:)

Decided to "come out", put my pic up for avatar. This is at the Crazy Horse in Nashville.....I'm the big girl on the right.:eek: :eek:

Well shoot! I thought you could click on the enlarge. That will be scary.

Krish, how do you get photo in the body of thread post???

I use this www.imageshack.us Just go to the link, select the size you want the picture to be, click on the browse tab which will allow you to seach on your computer for the file you want to upload, select the file and then click the "host it" tab. Once it takes you to the second screen with your picture, just highlight the text under "hotlinks for forum 1" copy the link and paste it here in a reply and when you click "submit reply", your pic will appear. Sounds like a lot, but is really easy and quick:)

Thanks Krish, I went a took a lookysee. I'll get into it later.

Are y'all going to have Sunday Night Chat???

BJ, welcome to ReefDerailers!

My tank runs about 40x turnover, with a sandbed. If you're thinking hard corals at all, I wouldn't dare go less than 30x, and wouldn't go less than 20x with any corals. Just personal preference.

Think about mater movement in two ways one NOT related to the other. Circulation: This is from the sump to the tank. You need just enough to give optimum performance to all your tank gizmos, like skimmers and heaters. This is usually pretty low in the 5-10 range.
Flow: This is what is going to keep all the detritus in suspension and bring food to the corals and keeps the left overs from collecting on the corals. Depending on the tank design I'd say a minimum of 30 times turn over. Start adding sps and you can easily move up to 100 times.

Don

twilliard said:
I didnt know I was talking to a lady (BJ).
shhh dont tell the wife!
youll get me in trouble
Aren't you the one who has a new tank coming that "the wife" is unaware of?????

How you gonna sneak that in!!!

My husband unfortunately does not enjoy the pleasure/pain of saltwater/reefing so everytime he says "that's new" I say, it's been in there honey! And sometimes he is smart enough to say, since when? Then I have to say 5 min ago or 1 day ago. Seldom can I go 1 or 2 weeks undetected. LOL LOL

DonW said:
Think about mater movement in two ways one NOT related to the other. Circulation: This is from the sump to the tank. You need just enough to give optimum performance to all your tank gizmos, like skimmers and heaters. This is usually pretty low in the 5-10 range.
Flow: This is what is going to keep all the detritus in suspension and bring food to the corals and keeps the left overs from collecting on the corals. Depending on the tank design I'd say a minimum of 30 times turn over. Start adding sps and you can easily move up to 100 times.

Don
Thanks Don, good info. I probably won't go into sps right now. I don't have a sump yet, but am planning on one soon. I definitely need more than I got!!

Back