GPH In Sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm not understanding the "contact time in the refugium" comment. could you elaborate?
My whole idea about slowing the flow through my sump which also contains my refuium is just my way of doing my system.
It's what I have been doing for a very long time.
I only offer it as a example as what is working for me.

My 100 gal tank with a 55 gal sump/refugium has a Eheim 1262 pump moving 900GPH -head loss. I can see the water current in the refugium. I have first a skimmer section then a large rubble rock section( about 40lbs of ribble), then a refugium section with chateo and mexicana macros, and then the return pump section. I don't get detris in my sump unless it's under the rubble rock, but can't see any building up in the DT eaither.And my water is crystal clear. I think theres many ways to set up a sump and the flow. I do wish mine was slower sometimes so the over flow was quieter.

Hello,
Water flow and movement within a DT or sump is a choice...nothing else. We don't even begain to match the water flow/ movement of our oceans even in the calmer parts within our aquariums. Some hobbiest feel the best with lower flow while others turn it up a notch or two and maybe even three:) its just their choice. There is to many factors to say this way works better than that way so knowing what kind of reef you want to end up with may help with what kind of flow you would want.
And knowing the difference between flow whats returning from the sump and movement what the water does inside your aquarium will help when making the choice.

I guess what I was getting at is why did you decide to do that.

At first I was in the other camp.
I wanted to use the biggest pump I could get that would fully utilize the full caspasity of my overflows.
I was conviced I needed that extra flow from the return. Even back then I hated powerheads in my tanks.
But as time went by I noticed things like microbubbles in the display. The noise everything made.
I even experienced overflows. Some of the overflows happened when I was out of town when my wife had to take care of everything.
My wife said that had to stop.
So that was when I looked into why it happened.
After going to a lower flow pump, alot of other things began to fall in line.

Like I said in my first post on this thread, " I may be in the minority here" but that is just the way I do it.
It works for me

OK. So you didn't have "more contact time in the refugium" as a goal, but rather as a result of reducing flow for the other reasons you mentioned above.

Thanks.

Do you have a ratio that you recommend between the overflow and the return pump?

If you are looking towards a slower flow sump, then the rule of thumb generally goes with 3x to 5x the tank volume through the sump.
The size and flow of the overflow will have a say in the amount of flow.

If you want more, then whatever your overflow can handle......................................

The return pump GPH is predicated on the overflow and drain rate. Too much GPH for the return means it will get ahead of the overflow drain and cause the flushing sound. Too little GPH in the sump can cause the sump to over flow. If things are in sync now, leave it alone.

I may be in the minority, but I like a slower flow through my sump.
3x to 5x the tank volume through the sump.
IMO it allows more contact time in the skimmer compartment and refugium.
Also allows detritus to settle where it can be removed, less chance of skimmer micro bubbles to get back to the display.
Lower evaporation rate.
It's just what I've been doing for a long time.

I like slow flow through the sump also, time to let detritus settle and get collected by the skimmer & whatever else to get processed.:lie:

5 x tank(100) 500gph volume x 24 hrs = 12,000 gallons processed through system per day. 20 x tank(100) gallons 2,000gph volume x 24 hrs = 48,000 gallons processed through system per day. Question which system has more contact time? Would detritus be a concern in both systems? Would more evaporation be worth it, if you knew you would have better water quality? Just thinking out loud to above thinking and why I like high flow thru sump........more contact time, detritus is kept suspended to be removed, higher oxygen level, higher amounts of kalk dose to system, healthy...er micro fana. Its that 51 flavors thing...lol

No, that is not right, unless your overflow is way too low in the tank.
Exactly!
In an extreme case (zero flow because the power is out), the sump had better be able to handle all the water in the display tank that is above the overflow.

No, that is not right, unless your overflow is way too low in the tank.
Right and wrong are moral concerns. I think you mean incorrect but then you go on to to make a disclaimer about the height of the drain. Also, you have overlooked how full people keep their sumps. Fill your sump 75-80% full and shut off the pump, it will over flow.

Also, you have overlooked how full people keep their sumps. Fill your sump 75-80% full and shut off the pump, it will over flow.

I guess that's part of the learning curve.
Most would test the backflow into the sump when they set them up. Others may ask, and then others learn by trial and error.
I run my sump at that 75% to 80% level.
When my return pumps are turned off, or the power goes out, I get about 1-1/2" of extra water in my sump, with several inches to spare.

Back