Gracilaria sp. Culturing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

I wanted to get some input from folks on culturing Red Gracilaria sp. feeding to my fish. I am currently planning to setup a separate tank (20-30 gal) strictly for this purpose. I will put in a maxijet 1200 to create the tumbling effect, use the spiral PC flood light(s), and a heater. Not much else. I plan to use my water change water from my 75 gallon to introduce nutrients into the tank via water changes.

Can anyone provide advice or shoot holes in my setup. I'd rather hear about it now as opposed to after I have this up and running.

Thanks in advance.
-Reed

I have several types of Gracilaria in my refugium and sump. The refugium is lit by the main tank lights. The sump is lit 24/7 by a PC fixture. The gracilaria grows well in both. Part of the water flow from the main tank goes into the refugium. Both flow thru the sump and back into the main tank.

I do not feed it since its purpose is to remove nitrates from my tank and to provide occasional live food for my tangs. It also is a good place for copepods to live and reproduce (more food). I don't do anything special for it, just let it grow. I do have a powerhead in the refugium which tumbles the gracilaria but it is mainly there to keep the refugium adequately oxgenated.

Back