Grape Caulerpa invasion

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

young_skywalker

So somewhere along the line I got grape caulerpa in my nano. Unfortunately, it's on the largest rock in the tank and is a real hassle to get out. I tried removing as much as possible, then soaked it in hot water and scrubbed the rock with a bristle brush. However, about a week later the rock is covered in caulerpa again. Is there anything I can put in there that will eat it? I really want to avoid boiling the rock.

thanks

HMMMM....

its so much eazyer to remove the bryopsis... look on the bright side,

i used this to over power and remove the bryopsis

i dont think theres a lotta things that eat this... this is one of those "killer algea"

My Salifin and Kole tangs love to eat grape caulerpa. Maybe you can rent one and throw it in your tank and see what happens?

only prob with that is that it's a nano, so maybe an urchin, or minthrax (green emerald) crabs, which really arent appropriate for a nano either, but better than a tang/rabbit. another option is to give the rock to someone with a tang/rabbit already and let them eat it.

yeah...this situation just sucks because it's a huge rock. It's like 15 pounds. I wasn't sure if a emerald mithrax crab would eat the stuff (why are they inappropriate for a nano?). I thought about getting a pygmy angel for a little bit and then move him out, but I wasn't sure if they would eat it either.

you can Just water change them to death... it can be killed with super supreme water conditions

I don't think an Emerald will do that much damage to the grape Caulerpa. Unfortunately, I don't see any options of critters to eat it, in a Nano, other than an Urchin.

I also don't think pristine water conditions are going to help much. Caulerpa Macros will grow like crazy in high nutrient water, but even in low nutrients, will grow.

I'm afraid I'll probably have to boil it, but was hoping there might be a different alternative. I wouldn't expect an emerald to eat it, and even if it did I don't know if it could get ahead of caulerpa

Back