Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

do you gravel van live sand?

• yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • no

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

villin

Just wondering who out there does and does not gravel vac there sand? Reasons why or why not? Has a little argument with a friend wanted your guys imput=

This question does not make any sense to me and therefore I cannot answer it.

Sorry, I am technical writer/editor by day and had to say something about the structure of the sentence.

Do you mean siphon your sand? If this is your question, then No I do not siphon my sand which happens to be the Aragamax Oolite sand.

Just wondering who out there does and does not gravel vac there sand? Reasons why or why not? Has a little argument with a friend wanted your guys imput=

I do every couple water changes just to make sure im not getting any build up in the sand bed. I only have about an inch or 2 of sand in the tank and when I set the tank up i tried to get the sand around my live rock rather then fill the tank and put my rock on top of the sand.

sorry about the bad typing, was doing it from my blackberry, i was wondering who out there in there reef tanks gravel vacced/siphoned there sand if they had sand. i never really have before, and my friend always has. sorry for the confusion.

myteemouse, no worries..I don't cry, just shake my head. :D

it is all good though...

I have been told (and read) that if your sandbed is not a true DSB (i.e., 5+ inches or more of sand),then it is OK to siphon crushed sand. I am not too sure about siphoning sugar sized sand though.

I am not too sure about siphoning sugar sized sand though.

Sugar sized sand gets sucked right out of the hose. Some people vac thier sand with the understanding that eventually you will have to replace the small amounts that get removed.
I use a turkey baster and storm my sand every couple of months when It starts to look bad. A filter sock on the overflow outlet catches everything that I blast loose.

I'm with Duane (trido), I use the baster technique. The taste of saltwater is bad enough. Saltwater with sand is just down right nasty. YUCK!

no vac here! we leave the pods/worms in the sand be since we've read that they add to the diversity of the mini ecosystem we've got going on. :)

I never used to vac my sand, but after moving mine and finding 10mm of sludge under it i will do so from now on, every few months or so. As has been said though, not a good idea on a true deep sand bed(mine was 1" deep).

Shallow sand bed here and I do siphon the gunk out occasionally. If you are careful you do not loose too much sand.

I have a very healthy and large diamond goby that keeps the sandbed stirred up and nice and white. I have not vacuumed it at all.

Back