Gravity fed skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

griffinrl

I have a 185 with overflows on both sides of the back. One return has a Mag 12 and the other short run has a Mag 7 return pump. Would it be possible to have my short return overflow run to a skimmer? Since gravity is reasonably free I wondered if this would be a possibility? :)

I'm no expert, but I believe it would work IF your gravity feed is feeding enough GPH to your skimmer. This would depend on the type of skimmer. Your gravity feed could be increased or decreased with larger or smaller diameter drain line, although you'll only be able to increase it according to the size of overflows. Any change in drain will also effect returns or levels in sump/fuge.

Skimmerwhisperer or Luke would be able to give you a definite answer though.

Thank you MC...I will check on that particular skimmer if it's working for you!

Would it be possible to step down the diameter of the return line to the skimmer? Would this increase the velocity of the water flow into the skimmer or does that matter?

as stated above there are a lot of dynamics involved I have a valve on it so I can control the amount of flow into the skimmer I actually had too much flow into it at first but then again I am moving A LOT of water through my overflows... Overall I have been happy with that skimmer with one exception being its a pain to get restarted...

Thank you all for the replies. My significant other and I have purchased a complete system from our LFS. I'm currently making oyster shell/concrete rock and was considering giving a go at a diy protien skimmer. I know I have a Mag 7 and Mag 12 but I don't know the flowrate on the tank as it's still dry. I was hoping to get all the plumbing right while I'm curing my rocks and if a gravity fed skimmer is a possiblity I wanted to make sure I have a feed line plumbed for it.

Would I be able to make maybe some sort of venturi for the feed into the skimmer from the overflow?

What kind of skimmer are you trying to run? I think you could feed a recirculating skimmer from a drain, but you would still need a recirculating pump with venturi. Rather than gravity feed you can plumb in a t on the return line from the mag 12 to drive a venturi type skimmer. I don't think you will need both a mag 7 and 12 for returns.
-chris

I was always curious how people did this. I know when you buy a pump for a protein skimmer that the flow is suppose to be one - one and half times volume of tank for contact dwell time. How are you going to judge the output of your return is my question?

Ed I hate to be flat out honest here but I don't have any clue as to how much is going thruogh it I just know that it pulls out a rediculous amount of crud and I am happy with that, I simply adjusted it so that the flow out of the skimmer cup is a fast drip with a dark coloration to it instead of a light yellow color the skimmer in the other sump takes care of the rest which is not much at all.

I don't have a skimmer for my setup as of yet. I thought I might be able to build a simple one and feed it with one of my overflows. I figured I needed both pumps as that was how it was setup when I bought the system. It was dry and out of the previous owner's home and so I didn't see it running. The LFS owner did mention that the Mag 12 might make a bit of noise. If I could "T" off the 12 to drive a skimmer that would be great as well. I'm just trying to utilize what I already have and maybe avoid having to buy another pump to drive a skimmer. I'll do what's best for my tank and I really do appreciate all your comments. I just don't want to spend another $300-500 dollars for a skimmer....

I wonder if I used a T off the Mag 12 if it would drive one of those cool Beckett doodads?

Last edited:
I think you need to figure out what type of skimmer you want to use. Are you planning to get a recirc. skimmer? Is that why you want to gravity feed your skimmer? If not a recirc. skimmer you don't have to gravity feed it. Just throw it in your sump plug it in and let it do it's thing. Not the expert here just my little understanding about skimmers.

roscoe,

What I was thinking was instead of a recirc I wanted to feed the water straight from the overflow to avoid another pump and another source of heat (as well as electrical connection). But if I can use a feed off of my Mag 12 pump to drive it then that would be great too. It doesn't look too difficult to build a skimmer as I found a complete Beckett assembly on eBay for about $25. I think that I understand that you need pretty good pressure through one of these to make it work it's best but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Basically I'd like to diy a Beckett type skimming device just to see if I can do it...and if it works I've saved some money and if not well at least my diy rocks look great :)

OH I see. I've never used a becket skimmer but I do know they require alot of power. I don't think your mag12 is enough GPH to use as a return and to run a becket skimmer. Again I'm no expert. I'm pretty sure Luke or Skimmerwhisperer will chime in on this matter soon.:)

I run a mag 12 solely to power my recir-beckett. I dn't think it would push enough to tee it off to your return. My best guess is that your going to need to get another pump anyway.

IMO you need to get a real pump of some sort to drive the return to your tank something in the order of a mag 24. Once you deciede on a skimmer your pump issue there will probably be settled since most skimmers come with a pump. If not then get the appropiate pump to drive the skimmer.

If you are going to use your mag 12 return pump as a return pump and a beckett pump its not going to work well. Like mentioned above you could run a mag 24 and use it as both, half and half. If you plan on using your drain line as a feed for a skimmer it would work if its going to feed a recirculating skimmer. A drain line doesn't work for a venturi or beckett as there's not enough pressure to drive the air. If you plan on DIY skimmer your better off just buying one as you'll spend just as much money.

I should have specified that mine is a recirc I did miss that point that needs to be there since the recirc pump does the air injection...

Back