Green brittle star 1 Sailfin tang 0

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Echris

Well i went to feed yesterday and my always first in line sailfin tang was missing, when i found him he was being eaten by the green brittle star. :mad:

Since i couldn't even get an LFS to take it a year ago i see only 2 options for this death machine;

1. Dry it out and use it as a $200+ decoration.
or
2. Will harlequin shrimp eat it? If so does anyone want some $$$ shrimp food?

of course i will take other ideas that do not include keeping it if anyone has any?

Eric

"The Green Brittle Stars are notorious fish eaters."

Yeah that's why i was trying to get rid of it when it was first um "donated" to me over a year ago but no one would take it.

Then it seemed to live peacefully for that time so i stopped trying to get rid of it, but now its gotta go. Dead or alive preferably alive.

Bummer on the shrimp.

is yours Ophiarachna incrassata? If so, yep, just like Sid said. They are commonly called the 'death star'. If it's a different species, are you sure your tang didn't croak and the starfish was just doing what a starfish does?

I have an extremely large green brittle star (at least 13-15" dia.) and never have any problems with it. I feed full size silversides regularly and he stays happy and fat. I don't see how the star could have captured the fish unless it was sick?

I have a 300 gallon cryptic zone/sump that I would happy to give him a home in that he can live out his life being just as much of a PITA as he is now.

I'm actually going to be headed your way in a couple of days if you are available I can even pick him up.

Its either wed/thurs. that I am headed way south and back up your way... PM me.

I fed a fish eating crab to my sons red eared sliders (aquatic turtle). I took great joy in watching them munch him up....he ate a couple of star fish and was probably responsible for the disapearance of 2 other fish. Do you know anyone nearbye that has turtles? I figured since it ate my babies....it was only fair that he become food for someone else....lol.. Good luck

ya I keep mine in the sump hes great picks out all the leftovers of food and what ever else gets down there good place for him and he has a job

Back