green Cyano?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ckeadle

so it has been a week or two since my tank crashed because of the Won Heater and now I am getting an outbreak of a green algae that looks like cyano bacteria, (I figured something like this would happen after all the die off), it looks like cyano but doesn't get airbubbles in it like cyano does.

Any ideas as to what it is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks much

Any pics??? I've personally never heard of green cyno, but that doesn't mean there isn't such a thing. A photo would definately help. Sorry to hear about your troubles...I hope you get sorted out soon:)

Krish, I've seen green cyano, black cyano, red cyano, maroon cyano.

I was curious about the different color strains and found this article. Apparently there is also yellow and bright green based on this entry.

Chlorophyll a and several accessory pigments (phycoerythrin and phycocyanin) are embedded in photosynthetic lamellae, the analogs of the eukaryotic thylakoid membranes. The photosynthetic pigments impart a rainbow of possible colors: yellow, red, violet, green, deep blue and blue-green cyanobacteria are known. A few genera, however, lack phycobilins and have chlorophyll b as well as chlorophyll a, giving them a bright green colour. These were originally grouped together as the prochlorophytes or chloroxybacteria, but appear to have developed in several different lines of cyanobacteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria

kill cyano

if you can, shorter photo period. more water changes. more flow. having a fuge does help alot.

also a uv helps to fight it, i find starvation by waterchanges is the best. Verry Best of luck to ya, sorry for your loss, its like a kick in the nuts..

I have it too. My Red Cyano slowly turned into the green variety. I have fairly high flow in my tank (52X flow) but it finds places to live.
My nitrates are undetectable, so maybe it's eating phosphates?

I'm not too worried about it as it seems to be shrinking very slowly.

Good luck with yours.

Back