green fuzzy Alge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scubajames

I'm new to reef aquarium and I now have some short fuzzy green alge growing on my LR is this good or bad, if it's bad what can I do to solve the problem

How old is the set-up? How bad is the algae....covering everything or just certain spots? Do you use RO/DI water? Do you have a skimmer? What are your water parameters? The algae just means there is enough food for it to grow. Depending on the age of your tank, it may just be in the algae stage. What types of inhabitants do you have in the tank now?

algae

It's only a couple months old. I'm not using an RO unit yet. I have a PM bullet 2 protein skimmer running. All water chemical levels are at the typical range. I only have a few chromis in there right now. There is other algae growth but the algae I'm concern about is a green algea about 3/8" tall and covers all the top surfaces of my LR

Take a powerhead or turkey baster and blast the algae. This will free up any detritus that has become trapped. Have you thought about starting to add snails to your tank? Depending on your tap water quality, RO/DI may be beneficial by eliminating any phosphates or nitrates when you are topping off or doing a water change.

Back