Green Hair Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

my turbo snals knock every thing over i might have to put them in butter and eat them they knock over my zoas then i cant find them

its up to u,thats what my yellow tang do,eats all algaes...especially if i dont give him seaweeds..sometimes he eats diatoms/cyano too,i dunno,,,i caught him eating picking up something in the sandbed

If you don't want a yellow tang I definately wouldn't get one. There is no guarantee that it will eat your problem, and once you put him in it'll be really hard to get him out. I'm fighting every kind of algea there is right now in my tank. The best thing that I have done is big water changes and adding more of a cleanup crew. Also it takes time to get rid of it, I've been at it for a couple months, be patient. If you're scared of the turbos knocking over corals put some more hermits in or some other snails. Also, I don't remember seeing if you were using RO water. If you are, you might look into how old the filters are on the unit, if not maybe look into getting one. There is a huge list of things that could be causing algea. I think it's a bad idea to start adding fish to combat algea because they are adding to the bioload. Especially if you don't really want the fish you're buying. I would keep looking into the reasons you're getting excess nutrient levels and work at fixing that first. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those:D I'm no expert and there are a TON of threads on here about algea problems. I'm pretty sure I've read most of them:lol: Best of luck to you!

Have you tested your Alk and Mg? Magnesium apparently helps 'hold in' Ca and Alk. I have had this problem in my tank (24gal Aquapod) which is now 6mos old. I had no fish until last month because I got GHA during the cycling process and it wouldn't go away.

The reef salt I am using (Seachem) is a bit deficient in Alk so I got one tailspot blenny who's helping clean it up, and that combined with elevating my alk, water changes and manual removal: it's almost gone!

Basically what I'm saying is check some of your other parameters for clues. If the chemistry is off balance it could be providing a better environment for the algae. And your nitrates are probably zero because the algae is taking all that up for you,.\\.

Although green hair algae no longer exist in my tank, this is something I might try when it pops out again.

thanks for the info,

While I am glad it no longer exists in your tank, you never really finished off your thread. Can you explain to the folks who were following your thread how you were able to clear your tank of the menacing GHA? How did the Fox Face work? Did you get a Yellow Tang? It is always good to bring closure to a thread so people know to not post anymore...:razz:

Hey,

My 125 gallon is full of GHA (see pic) and i don't know how to get rid of it. My nitrates and my phosphate are 0, but they still grow. I have a refugim and a cheato of a size of two base ball and that killed some of the algae, but it keeps growing. I have 5 emerald crabs in there, but they only tear up a few of them then they hide. I read that lawnmower blennies help, but i got 2 blennies in there already (i don't know what they are exactly because i got this tank from a friend 3 months ago) and I read that they are agressive to each other. My naso tang just died so now i'm planning to add a yellow tang and a blue tang at the same time (i know that the blue tang doesn't eat GHA, but it's my favorite fish:D) I also try and take out the algae using my hand ones a week and every month i use and airline pipe to remove the algae

So I'm looking for suggestions

I have 1 clown, 2 watchman gobies (I think), 2 Blennies (could be gobies), 1 eel thing, 1 purple dottyback. I will post pictures of the fish that i don't know tomorrow

Also i thought that the water movement was insufficient so bought a vortech mp40 :) hehehe

Sorry for the bad pics of the algae. They were taken at night.

I would do a 50% water change and gravel clean then 25% a week or two latter. Don't forget check the quality of your water change. I had this happen to me where the water quality of my water change was bad.

Also use phosphate removal in combo with water change. Alos check to make sure your PH is high. With low PH, the rock and substrate in your tank will release phospate back into the water.

What you should do is to do Alk drip. It remove phospate and rase your ph and cal.

Remember to clean your gravel...

I haven't seen a bit of GHA since I added a Scopas and a yellow tang. Also a lawnmower Blennie. They gobbled up both a GHA and the Calurpa that was taking over the tank. I also added Ozone to the skimmer air intake.

And.....? How did you clear it up?? What did you do??

Ok,

so:

1-I find the source of the extra nutrients and fixed it. It was not over feeding, but too much lighting and I need a better skimmer and sump. During that time my sump was just a tank. So I bought some pieces of glass to make my 75 into a sump/refugim.

2-I do weekly water changes with a small air tube with a plastic tip so I pull the algae off of the rocks and the pipe sucks in the algae into a bucket.

3-After about a few months, the algae started dying and our new aquarium stand was about to be completed so we decided to get some new equipment and assemble it during the move. We got lumenarc reflectors, new halide ballast, vho bulbs, mp40, ASM 400+

4-During the move, I separated the rock without GHA and th rocks with GHA. I them place one rock into a 10 gallon with power head and pull of the algae and when the rock is clean I'll get another one until all of them is cleaned.

5-I then assemble my tank again and after about a month, GHA was not present any more (except in the overflow which I think I should clean it) I all so have a bunch of cheaeto in my fuge that I helps prevents it by eating all of the nutrients.

A1.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

Last edited:
well done,, Alot of people don't understand that lights will really do a # on algae..
And if you have that much algae your trAtes and phos.. will read 0 cause the algae is eating it all..

Dont know why anyone hasnt asked for a closer pic but, that kindda looks like bryopsis...

assuming its not... the answer is the same as all the other algae, problems except for those few..

reduce the nutrients via water changes, and or export... I think your best way is

with very very clean RODI water and proper back to back water changes over the next few months.. like every few days or weekly along with reduced feeding and reduced light

the algae should quickly remove it self... all skimmer and fish questions aside.

it took me 5 years to defeat byobsis and every water changed sucked.

Dont know why anyone hasnt asked for a closer pic but, that kindda looks like bryopsis...

assuming its not... the answer is the same as all the other algae, problems except for those few..

reduce the nutrients via water changes, and or export... I think your best way is

with very very clean RODI water and proper back to back water changes over the next few months.. like every few days or weekly along with reduced feeding and reduced light

the algae should quickly remove it self... all skimmer and fish questions aside.

it took me 5 years to defeat byobsis and every water changed sucked.

What's bryopsis?

What's bryopsis?

There are lots of different types of Bryopsis; however, in general, it is Green Hair Algae. Most typically, at least in my experience, the most aggrivating type looks kinda fern like. I can really only best describe it's appearance. There are other types that grow thin "hair" and do not have a blade or fern like appearance visible to the naked eye.

However to just generally answer the question...Bryopsis = Green Hair Algae.

Types:

Bryopsis adriatica
Bryopsis africana
Bryopsis australis
Bryopsis cespitosa
Bryopsis corticulans
Bryopsis corymbosa
Bryopsis cupressina
Bryopsis cupressoides
Bryopsis dasyphylla
Bryopsis derbesioides
Bryopsis dichotoma