Green Hair Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thats good... np then...

if its gone already and you didnt just pull it out and it stays gone... then its not bryposis but people should really be careful about "green algea" its not all just hair algae and pulling bryposis out makes it muliply by billions

do a goodle image search on it
take a look

Last edited:
This has been a great thread for me. I'm in a little different situation - with a 6 yo tank and deep sand bed in some places - and about 18 months of virtual neglect... (Had a huge SPS tank meltdown that left a sour taste). I'm finding every piece of advice in this thread is truly valid as there is usually never one 'single source' of nutrients feeding your algae. One additional item I don't remember seeing mentioned - UV. If you're going to be siphoning algae off the rocks - you will get some loose in the water column. UV will help eradicate those free floating filiments.

I've been employing nearly all of these tactics mentioned and I'm finally seeing my efforts pay off. Thanks for a great thread!

thats good... np then...

if its gone already and you didnt just pull it out and it stays gone... then its not bryposis but people should really be careful about "green algea" its not all just hair algae and pulling bryposis out makes it muliply by billions

do a goodle image search on it
take a look

Ok, the GHA that was in my tank was not byropsis. It looks a lot different actually.

This has been a great thread for me. I'm in a little different situation - with a 6 yo tank and deep sand bed in some places - and about 18 months of virtual neglect... (Had a huge SPS tank meltdown that left a sour taste). I'm finding every piece of advice in this thread is truly valid as there is usually never one 'single source' of nutrients feeding your algae. One additional item I don't remember seeing mentioned - UV. If you're going to be siphoning algae off the rocks - you will get some loose in the water column. UV will help eradicate those free floating filiments.

I've been employing nearly all of these tactics mentioned and I'm finally seeing my efforts pay off. Thanks for a great thread!

I did have a UV sterilizer. It's just that I've never though of using since the algae is dying anyways so I traded it for some corals. I probably couldn't of get rid of the algae in my tank without a little research and a lot of advices from people here

Back