Green hairy algae removers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Foxfaces, tangs etc will usually eat hair algae. If you have it growing then there is a nutrient issue in the tank that you should try and address. Once you find out what is causing the elevated nutrient levels then the hair algae should disappear on its own. :)

An algae turf scrubber LOL. Once hair algae gets long enough for you to recognize it is hair algae almost nothing will eat it. You could try some emerald crabs though...

DBMreef had hair algae all over his 55 gallon
I mean you couldn't see the rocks it was a sea of green and he bought 100 snails and they wiped it out in a few weeks.

anyone have a pic of this stuff? I'm pretty sure I'm starting to grow it, and have never had to deal with it in my old tank. I notice it on my "eco rox" rock, and up the side of one of my clams, but the 3 tangs i have don't seem to care for it. I too am running vertex bio pellets and have 0 nitrates, and .025 PO4.

Thanks to some PO4 in my ro water, I started a nice garden. Green and brown. I got some chemi-pure elite, put it in a canister, got 50 cerith, 50 nerite, 5 em. crabs, and a matrix crab.
ALL GONE! PO4 is undectectable,0ppm nitrates. I can look in my display again! LOL

I've seen some lawnmower blennys go to town on algae.

After 2-3 months, we are just now getting rid of the green hair algea. a couple things we learned: 1)Don't put any faith in a phosphate reading of "0" because the algea is using all available phospates to take over your tank leaving little-to-none to be measured. 2)Unless you really want that fish that supposedly eats the stuff, don't buy one. Like akunochi stated, most won't eat it (unless you starve them of other food). 3)What has finally helped turn the tide for us was ridding the water of phosphates to begin with... Again, see above. 4)Until then, invest in the Oral-B toothbrush company

Back