Green star polyps won't grow?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cbates

Hey all, just a quick question about my GSP, I got a smaller piece about 5 months ago, was actually my first coral, rob from red c said it was a good starter, hardy and grew fast. All over the Internet I've read that it grows crazy fast and up walls and will take over your tank, well mine hasn't spread at all! I've tried it at the bottom of the tank with high flow med light. Now it's towards the top in high light low flow and still nothing. All my other corals are exploding and growing quick( jasmine polyps. Recordia, kenyan trees, yellow polyps) and others as well. What have you guys found that works well?

Are they polyping out okay?

Well, I have mine in low light and high flow. Both the green ones and the purple ones. They are both growing rather quickly.

Yeah they open and close fine, they don't seem to be bothered by anything BUT this last few weeks I have noticed a feather duster has made is home right In the middle, which suprised a guy I know who said that the GSP would normally overrun the duster so maybe there's a problem with it? I'll upload a pic to my tumblr. I can't figure out how to attach pics in here yet

Well that little feather can be picked off and just let it float in the tank. It will settle in somewhere. It could be irritating the GSP's. Otherwise they look good.

8601405141_6e3e33c568_k.jpg

Last edited:
My GSP is in high flow with good light and is growing up the back of the tank. And I have some in no flow and low light thats ok but not growing much. I can put current right on mine and they love it. They do take some time to get acclimated to your tank befor they take off. Stop moving them and let them get used to there surroundings and they will grow.

Just out of curiosity...what are your water parameters?
Temp is 75.3
PH: 8.2-3
ammonia: is slightly higher then 0 but less then .25
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
salinity 1.024
then as far as the others I use Red Sea salt pro and was told from BRS that with a weekly water change I would have high enough levels in calcium, magnesium, ect would be plenty high to support my tank

All looks good to me. I'd say give a little more time and it should start growing shortly. Mine took like 6 or 7 months before it really stated to get take off. Also you may want to consider ca and mg test kits at some point if you're planning on a reef. Regardless of the water changes, you'll need to know where those levels are.

All looks good to me. I'd say give a little more time and it should start growing shortly. Mine took like 6 or 7 months before it really stated to get take off. Also you may want to consider ca and mg test kits at some point if you're planning on a reef. Regardless of the water changes, you'll need to know where those levels are.
Good to know lol. I was excited to have it spread but ill keep it in the same spot and watch it. I do have the tests from Red Sea but I bought just the refill kit on accident and I've put off on buying the full kits.

GSP is great but once it finds its happy place it should be isolated because its a fast and aggressive softie and will take over whatever its on. i had a small piece and crammed it into a rock and nothing, then in 8 months i noticed it then three months later it took over the rock it was on. i moved it to the sand bed by itself and in two months it was spreading over the sandbed so i sold it (i was scared of it:help: LOL).
Its a very beautiful and mesmerizing softie but beware and you'll truly enjoy it without sacrifice of rock or corals.

Back