Green Star Polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I was reading here on RF just how toxic GSP,s can be. I am sad to hear this as they are one of my favorites. I have all the top 5 most toxic softies mentioned :| . They are in my 55 and I am running carbon. What would be some of the signs that there is too much chemical warfare going on in my tank?

Ok, thanks. All softies except a couple of monti C frags. (which are growing :) ) and I made sure they were nowhere near the softies.

and do things to hedge your bets like changing 25% of your carbon weekly instead of 100% monthly... larger water changes and/or more frequently, etc

And keep loose rubble around the GSP to easily control its growth (cut away and replace as needed)

GSP is brutally aggressive to the point of nearly being parasitic (like Erythropodium that is a fast encroacher/killer in kind)

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have noticed how FAST it is growing. I have a question. I have one type (these are all less than a inch and a half as of now) that has a fleshy colored " base (?) " and one that has a purple base and one that isn't really green but purple with an aquamarine eye and tips. Is there any difference in toxicity in these different types or are all poylps that shape about the same in regards to being nearly parasitic?

naaa... there appears to be several genera and more than a few species and all are categorically brutal. Beautiful but aggressive. Use caution with all... they are invasive.

Carbon also acts as a great bio site.
If you change part of your carbon it helps keep your good ol tank more stable.

So I have read.

Back