Green Star Polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BDGooch

Hey all, this is my first time posting though I've lurked a while.

Let's start with tank parameters: 72 Bowfront, Remora Skimmer, over the back refuge, 2 powerheads and light set up by KevPro -no metal halides.

approx 50 lbs of Live rock in 2 pieces in shallow sand bed about 6 months into restarting this tank.

Bio load includes: 2 small, mated percs. 1 scooter. I small condy. 1 Cleaner Shrimp. V nice colony of Mushroom, Xenia and what seems like Nephthea all doing reall well.

All water lvls seem to be spot on, temp has fluctuated from 78-80 occasionally hitting 81 due to the heat wave, but never up there long. Salinity was a bit high 1.24-25 but I changes the water almost %30.

Now to the problem. For the past 2-3 months I had a colony of green star polyps that looked just great--It had grown into the LR and was one of the nicest feature of my tank. All of a sudden, they went inside to stay. I can see some tiny polyps trying to come out, but it nothing more than a flat purple mat right now. With everything else doing so well, what could be bothering the polyps?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, BD

How long has it been? Mine stay in for a couple of days every once in a while, but hopefully someone will chime in with some facts.

Is there any direct current or anything blowing directly on them.

FYI: You'll want to keep that stuff under control. It's take of a take pretty quickly if yo let it.

Now to the problem. For the past 2-3 months I had a colony of green star polyps that looked just great--It had grown into the LR and was one of the nicest feature of my tank. All of a sudden, they went inside to stay. I can see some tiny polyps trying to come out, but it nothing more than a flat purple mat right now. With everything else doing so well, what could be bothering the polyps?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, BD

Any change in the flow?? or the lights? they do not like to higt flow

Mine did the same but only after I moved them. Any time you touch the polyps they seem to retreat into themselves for a couple of days and then come out. Not sure why, but it is a fairly consistent happening in my tank when I move them.

also i noticed with my zoos if i jump around near my tank and create a vibration in the ground they close up, but im not saying i dance around my tank all day lol :p also there might be somthing bothering them like a nudi or somthing so u could try a freshwater dip

I moved mine to the bottom because I got tired of looking at a bumpy, purple rock, lol. They opened up and looked great.

iratation or

I notice mine close up when macro algaes get to big and start rubbing,or when i forget to check my alk.sure enough when i see them close for two or more days my alk is usually on the low side

Back