Greetings from Switzerland

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Iwan

My stone coral tank

Hello reefers,

my name is Iwan Laesser.
I live in Switzerland and am an enthusiastic stone coral friend.
I like to introduce my reef to you. Perhaps a couple of people know my tank already but anyway some details:D
DSC01772.JPG

Tank Details:

Tank Size:
840 liters /210 Gallons

DSC01763.JPG

Lighting:
Pure T5!!
2x54 Watt ATI Aquablue Special
2x54 Watt ATI Blue Plus
4x80 Watt ATI Aquablue Special
4x80 Watt ATI Blue Plus
For a total of 856 Watts. The lamps are changed every 6-8 months.
Iwan050.jpg

T5 for stone corals?
The light conditions compared at tropical reef roofs, we can often offer our corals only compromises both in the spectral light composition and in the intensity of radiation.
It just therefore makes sense to put the radiant energy with artificial light sources available in the areas in which the photosynthesis is supported optimally.
In comparison with the exclusive illumination with HQI the lights offer the corals a more efficient possibility with T5 technology of delivering sufficiently photo synthetically utilizable radiation (PUR).
This also is due to the more unfavorable radiation orientation besides the high waste of energy (approx. 20%) of the much HQI lamps with a stronger shading of one's own.
Through this coral can as a percentage absorb less PUR radiation.
By the T5 lights my corals have got much more colored.
The growth also has increased.
For me the T5 technology is the best opportunity for the light extraction.
DSC01760.JPG

-Water Changes:
10% weekly changes with Reverse Osmosis water.

-Technical Equipment:

Skimmer: Skimmer Beast 1200P
Flow pumps: Tunze Streams
Ozone: None
UV: None

-Calcium Management:

Balling method
The consumption of calcium is about 40 mg/liters daily
DSC01746.JPG

Filtration:

By a specific combination of maritime micro-organisms we get a stable and largely natural ecosystem in the small format. The imitation of the ecosystem "sea" doesn't confine itself only by the keeping of corals, cancer animals, fish and other life-forms.
Biology is an important factor.
Technical aids cannot replace a stable biological climate.
I prefer to limit the amount of technical solutions and focus on biological
filtration methods:

Live rock
DSB (100% Livesand)
DSB should have a height of least 10 cm and consist of living sand this. However, the most important factor is the particles size.
The “normal” coral break is unsuitable for a DSB. We need the finest sand.
We distinguish the water in the water layer above the sand and water layers in the sand.
By the occurrence of bacteria and by gas diffusion the water is subdivided into visible layers within the DSB. These layers are different from each other by the predominant oxygen concentration. We distinguish aerobic, anaerobic and anoxycal segments. The aerobic layer has the same oxygen concentration as the water above the sand roughly.
In the anaerobic layer, oxygen is availably but already still considerably fewer than in the layer being over it.
The anoxic layer doesn't contain relaxed oxygen.
If there wasn't a life in the sand, there would be no layer formation either.
This is caused by bacteria, micro organisms and animals which live on the surface of sediment particles.
In the different layers it comes to a breakdown of nutrients.

DSC01741.JPG

Current Water Parameters:

Temperature: 25°C
Salinity: 35ppt
pH: low 7.90 high 8.1
No3: undetectable
No2: undetectable
NH4: undetectable
Po4: undetectable
Si3 : undetectable
Ca: 420mg/ml
Alk: 7-9 DKH
Mg: 1300mg/ml
Redox: 400-450

DSC01754.JPG

Additions:

Daily:
Zeostart2 (Korallenzucht)
Amino acid
Coral Vitalizer (Korallenzucht)

Weekly:
Amino acids/vitamins “ReefBooster” (Prodibio)

Bi-Weekly:
Bacteria “Bio Digest” (Prodibio)
Bacteria food “Bioptim”(Prodibio)

DSC01762.JPG

Aim of all products is creating a relatively low nutrient environment in our seawater aquaria.
The bonus of selected bacteria and the feeding reduce the nutrients.
The biological functions are activated. ReefBooster serves the diet of the corals and DSB resident.
The dosage of the individual components is very simple. The ampoule tops are simply broken off, the contents thinned down into some aquarium water and admitted. Ready!
The Vodka method also increases bacteria anyway? Right!
Vodka is a carbon source for the bacteria. By the bonus of Vodka one obtains an increase of all bacteria’s contained in the system. By the bonus of selected bacterium and carbon sources the desired bacteria remain dominant.
So the biological functions are used optimally.

Tank Inhabitants:
Corals:
99% of the corals in this tank are SPS and LPS corals, 54 in all.

DSC01735.JPG

Fish:
I try to reconstruct a natural coral-reef in my small tank. So of course fish and invertebrates are also included. My fish population:
2 Zebrasoma flavescens
1 Zebrasoma veliferum
20 Pseudanthias squamipinnis
11 Chromis virdis
3 Amphiprion ocellaris
2 Oxycirrhites typus
2 Synchiropus splendidus
2 Labroides dimidiatus
1 Salarias fasciatus
1 Gobiodon okinawae
2 Gobiodon histrio

- Inverts:
30 Hermit crabs
5 Tridacna squamosa
4 Mesipilia globulus
8 Lysmata amboinensis
2 Stenopus hispidus

More? Visit: www.hausriff.ch

Cheers,

Iwan

Last edited:
IWAN Welcome My man, You tank has been a point of alot of discussion here on RF. From Lighting to Color of your tank. ( sherman)

I smell a rat! Where's Luke?:p Gald you're here again Iwan. It's great that RF is becoming more diverse with it's memebers. Look forward to more of your posts:)

Beautiful tank, welcome to RF!
I can see why lots of people don't like the HIQ over the mogul Mh's.
I like your T5 set-up very nice deal, I have to question why you change at 6 months when most here in the U.S. suggest a year to a year & a half?

I smell a rat! Where's Luke? Gald you're here again Iwan. It's great that RF is becoming more diverse with it's memebers. Look forward to more of your posts

that's what i say :lol: hmmm he's probably sleeping or at school or in the bathroom or hmmm eating :D :p .

why you change at 6 months when most here in the U.S. suggest a year to a year & a half?

hmm so he has some spare ones in case one breaks :D .... just joking.

Scooterman said:
Beautiful tank, welcome to RF!
I can see why lots of people don't like the HIQ over the mogul Mh's.
I like your T5 set-up very nice deal, I have to question why you change at 6 months when most here in the U.S. suggest a year to a year & a half?

I often hear this question in the USA.
It is true the bulbs burn at least one or two years.
BUT: The spectrum changes after about 6-8 months. To have a stable spectrum, the bulbs should be changed after this time

Iwan said:
BUT: The spectrum changes after about 6-8 months. To have a stable spectrum, the bulbs should be changed after this time
HMMMMM ok Iam ready, Take AIM!!! Fire!!!!!!!!

do you think this should be done with MH too or any other bulbs?

spongebob lover said:
do you think this should be done with MH too or any other bulbs?

The spectrum of MH's is longer stable than that of T5's. You should change MH's after 12 months.

Back