Grounding Probe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmaxwell

Does everyone use one? Are the necessary? I have actually seen articles that say they can have a negative effect. What do you all think. I am thinking I may need one as every once in a while I notice low voltage when I am messing around w/ my sump.

Jim

Giving you a bump here until I can reply with information I can provide. This is a tricky discussion worth talking about.

Do you have a hang nail? Try sticking it in the water. A lot of people are going to external pumps because of shorts in power heads. Sometimes a heater will short out and send current through water also. I have a titanium grounding wire in my cabinets of fish stuff. You want it?

sorry, I am going off track. I used it and still got shocked by a bad power head.
So again, if you want mine...Holler

Ed

http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/GroundingProbes.html

I had used this link as a reference a while back, it may be a little too much to swallow, but it is good information, read the last paragraph in summery I feel it is true. There is good and bad, if you have stray voltages, the best thing you can do is find what is causing them & remove that item IMO. I will be gone later this evening until Sunday, I will be more than happy to supply more information to help solve this problem, as soon as I can get back I will see what I can do. For now, I must get back to work, I'm swamped.
Hopes this helps, It is a short cut to my explanation but I hope you can gather your help from above.

Nikki,
If you do not take care of your nails properly your nails grow improperly and cause your skin to be sensitve around your finger tips. You will feel any current in your fish tank through that area. It can be a toe curling experience. Not a good Toe curling experience.

Ed

Oh! LOL - I wasn't thinking of that kind of hang nail (I was picturing a nail on a string - {not understanding why that would be suggested}, or some piece of equipment I never heard of). Interesting, I wouldn't have thought the increased sensitivity would be helpful. Although, I still don't know if I would voluntarily want to get shocked.

Stray voltages should be eliminated by repalcing the device causing them. The grounding probe can be used as a safety device. If a current does develop in the system it will flow through the probe to the ground as opposed to the circut being created by reaching into the tank. Thus realizing that RIO you just bought isn't working properly. It is far better to have current flow through the tank and grounding probe than your arm and body.

Nikki,
I do not think anyone wants to be shocked. (If I Knew how to insert smiley it would be here) Maybe someone is telling me to have a manicure? The question is...If you are a ground your self and you use a grounding probe what happens to you when there is stray current in your tank? Saltwater is highly conductive of electricity. Still got that pretty little titanium wire..................

I highly recommend a GFI(Ground Fault Interceptor) for your system. If your GFI trips then you can locate stray current. You can find plug in GFI at your hardware store. It could possibly prevent you from seriious injury.

I want to joke with somebody today...I am too happy!
Ed

GFI...good idea...I think it probably is one of my power heads...if you don't have a hang nail handy use your tongue, just like when you were a kid w/ that 9v battery. :shock:

Jim

I just had to remove my HOB skimmer because it was putting ALOT of current into my tank, found it by putting my hand in to move something and got a pretty good dose. I am now going to be putting in a ground probe more for me than the tank I didnt like it.
Erik :eek:

A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) is a device to protect against electric shock should someone come in contact with a live (Hot) wire and a path to ground which would result in a current through his/her body. The GFCI operates by sensing the difference between the currents in the Hot and Neutral conductors. Under normal conditions, these should be equal. However, if someone touches the Hot and a Ground such as a plumbing fixture or they are standing in water, these currents will not be equal as the path is to Ground - a ground fault - and not to the Neutral. This might occur if a short circuit developed inside an ungrounded appliance or if someone was working on a live circuit and accidentally touched a live wire.

The Problem

Have you ever experienced an electric shock? If you did, the shock probably happened because your hand or some other part of your body contacted a source of electrical current and your body provided a path for the electrical current to go to the ground, so that you received a shock. An unintentional electric path between a source of current and a grounded surface is referred to as a "ground-fault." Ground faults ground-fault. Ground faults occur when current is leaking somewhere, in effect, electricity is escaping to the ground. How it leaks is very important. If your body provides a path to the ground for this leakage, you could be injured, burned, severely shocked, or electrocuted.

How the GFCI Works

In the home's wiring system, the GFCI constantly monitors electricity flowing in a circuit, to sense any loss of current. If the current flowing through the circuit differs by a small amount from that returning, the GFCI quickly switches off power to that circuit. The GFCI interrupts power faster than a blink of an eye to prevent a lethal dose of electricity. You may receive a painful shock, but you should not be electrocuted or receive a serious shock injury.The GFCI will trip in a fraction of a second at currents (a few mA) well below those that are considered dangerous. Note that a GFCI is NOT a substitute for a fuse or circuit breaker as these devices are still required to protect equipment and property from overloads or short circuits that can result in fire or other damage.

Note that it may be safe and legal to install a GFCI rated at 15 A on a 20 A circuit since it will have a 20 A feed-through. Of course, the GFCI outlet itself can then only be used for appliances rated 15 A or less.

Many (if not most) GFCIs also test for a grounded neutral condition where a low resistance path exists downstream between the N and G conductors. If such a situation exists, the GFCI will trip immediately when power is applied even with nothing connected to the protected outlets.

GFCIs typically test for the following condition:

• A Hot to Ground (safety/earth) fault. Current flows from the Hot wire to Ground bypassing the Neutral. This is the test that is most critical for safety.
  • A Grounded Neutral fault. Due to miswiring or a short circuit, the N and G wires are connected by a low resistance path downstream of the GFCI. In this case, the GFCI will trip as soon as power is applied even if nothing is connected to its protected (load) circuit.

Back