grouper id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

arc

Hi Terry. A friend of mine just bought a saltwater setup that came with this fish. He has posted a picture of it on our local saltwater forum because he's not sure of the id and wants to know exactly what it is in order to give it the best care possible. He was told by the seller that it was an Argus Grouper, but we aren't seeing the similarities. He also says he's 100% sure it isn't a Miniatus Grouper. I've provided a link to the picture he posted in hopes that you might be able to help. Thank you for your time!

http://www.high-velocity.org/saltcity/album_pic.php?pic_id=44

--Angie

ive seen one sorta like that I thought it was called minneatus or something like that anyone know?

Here are my thoughts. I think it is a Miniata Grouper (Cephalopholis miniata). As juveniles they are orange (in a photo I saw, I'd say its more yellowish organge), so I'm thinking this is a maturing juvenile, that hasn't lost all of its juvenile coloration yet. The Cephalopholis oligosticta, which was posted as a possiblity, is said to have fewer blue spots, and more widely scattered over the head and body....so, IMO, based on the pic, I'd lean more towards the miniata grouper.

I a also 99.9 % sure it is a Miniata Grouper, I had one for years. An argus looks nothing like that

yukatahata.jpg

Juwelen-Zackenbarsch_(000000000832).jpg

t0726epi.gif

Last edited:
Back