Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
Up in the corner of my room
aug20033-1.jpg

aug20033.jpg

aug20032.jpg

yea well it's a dead one..
I kill right after I make you pose for camera. LOL HA HA ha you die now, with fly swatter
My kids have been leaving the doors (front and back) open alot this summer...
:Little sneaky guy got in the house..

That's a Hobo Spider. Probably a male(as they're out looking for mates right now, the females stay in funnel webs), which makes them more dangerous/potent. They have a bite similar to the brown recluse, highly necrotic. DO NOT let it bite you.

God damn your photography skills!

Haha that is NOT the image i expected to see when i clicked the link

That's a Hobo Spider. Probably a male(as they're out looking for mates right now, the females stay in funnel webs), which makes them more dangerous/potent. They have a bite similar to the brown recluse, highly necrotic. DO NOT let it bite you.

Thats what i was thinking it was but after a quick search on google the results that I got were a different lookig spider. I also thought that hobo spiders and brown recluse were the same thing.....

Tom

Thats what i was thinking it was but after a quick search on google the results that I got were a different lookig spider. I also thought that hobo spiders and brown recluse were the same thing.....

Tom

Yeah the whole Hobo spider vs brown recluse is a very common misconception.

There's two spiders that look VERY similar to eachother, the "giant house spider" and the "aggressive house spider" aka Hobo Spider. The less dangerous "giant" house spider is darker brown overall, and slightly more hairy.

Here's some photos I got of a male Hobo recently...
HoboSpiderTop_8395.jpg

HoboSpiderFront_8412.jpg

HoboSpiderFrontCloser_8391.jpg

HoboSpiderFace_8400.jpg

Check out them fangs
HoboSpiderFrontCloserSide_8404.jpg

And this is a random photo of the "giant" house spider from the net.
giant-house-spider.jpg

Hmm.. ya know, after looking back and forth between Adams photo and mine, I think I was wrong. His looks more like the Giant house spider in the net photo I posted.. Has darker black markings. Definitely the one you'd want in your house if you had to choose between the two. lol.

I would say giant house spider. I just got rid of a couple in my house last week. They seem to move in when we have cold spells. I hear them called wolf spiders all the time here in N Idaho

Back