Hair Algae Help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

To start out I would recommend getting a snail for every 2 gallons of water and 1 red/blue/zebra/lefty hermit for every gallon of water.

This clean up crew will clean up the extra food that is fed and may also assist in controlling the algae.

As far as keeping your tank out of the sun light... I have my tank set up so the sun assists me in lighting up my tank. It's excess nutrients in your tank that's causing the growth of your algae and/or bryopsis.

Another note. One 30% water change does way more as far as clearing up your water quality than 6, 5% water changes. To the point... Do a 25-40% water change every other week. Skip wasting your time with a 5% water change.

Great advice! I'm starting to do 25% changes every week.

I Personally know two turbo snails per gallon will smoke it out in like a few weeks..
I had a friend do this with a tank you couldn't even see rock it was all algae
in his 55 he putt 100 turbos and POW all gone.

I also have a BioCube 14 set up.
Did you remove the bio balls? They tend to be nitrate factories.

If you haven't removed the bio balls, make sure you have enough live rock to support your tank. Then it may be a good idea to remove them incrementally so you don't get any spikes.

If you haven't removed the bio balls, make sure you have enough live rock to support your tank. Then it may be a good idea to remove them incrementally so you don't get any spikes.

When I set up the tank I took out all but a few bio balls and filled the rest of the chamber up with crushed live rock and have poly filter material on top.

the live rock rubble traps detritus and is a nitrate factory. it's as bad as the bioballs. That is likely the source of your problems.

Start removing some of the LR rubble a little bit at a time.

Best thing you can do for your Biocube is get a mediabasket from inTank
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14_c15.htm

Put that in chamber 2 with filter floss on top and whatever you want in the second two compartments. Popular choice is chaeto or purigen in section 2 and chemi pure elite in section 2. Replace the filter floss at least weekly.

the live rock rubble traps detritus and is a nitrate factory. it's as bad as the bioballs. That is likely the source of your problems.

Start removing some of the LR rubble a little bit at a time.

Best thing you can do for your Biocube is get a mediabasket from inTank
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14_c15.htm

Put that in chamber 2 with filter floss on top and whatever you want in the second two compartments. Popular choice is chaeto or purigen in section 2 and chemi pure elite in section 2. Replace the filter floss at least weekly.

That does make sense. If I take out the rock and bioballs but can't afford the mediabasket as I know they aren't cheap, what do you recomend I use in the mean time?

What are you using for your tank right now?

Skimmer?
Carbon/GFO/Chemi-pure?

IMO without any money to spend I'd do weekly 20% water change, make sure you don't over feed the tank and use the built in filter cartridge holder (i think the BC14 has the same kind as the BC29) to hold some floss and change it weekly at least.

If you're handy you may also be able to build your own media basket with a sheet of acrylic and some egg crate.

if you haven't done the common mods for the biocube
*Remove the false floor in chamber 1 & 2
*Trim the tab between chamber 1 and 2 for more flow
*Remove the stock sponge in chamber 3, or thoroughly clean it weekly if you insist on keeping it.

You basically need to get as much water flowing through the back chambers as possible and get some filter floss in the way of it to trap detritus so you can pull it before it decomposes.

I'm almost positive that removing all the LR rubble at once is a bad idea though, but I'll defer to the experts on that.

What are you using for your tank right now?

Skimmer?
Carbon/GFO/Chemi-pure?

IMO without any money to spend I'd do weekly 20% water change, make sure you don't over feed the tank and use the built in filter cartridge holder (i think the BC14 has the same kind as the BC29) to hold some floss and change it weekly at least.

If you're handy you may also be able to build your own media basket with a sheet of acrylic and some egg crate.

if you haven't done the common mods for the biocube
*Remove the false floor in chamber 1 & 2
*Trim the tab between chamber 1 and 2 for more flow
*Remove the stock sponge in chamber 3, or thoroughly clean it weekly if you insist on keeping it.

You basically need to get as much water flowing through the back chambers as possible and get some filter floss in the way of it to trap detritus so you can pull it before it decomposes.

I'm almost positive that removing all the LR rubble at once is a bad idea though, but I'll defer to the experts on that.

Right now I have the biocube skimmer in chamber 1; floss, lr rubble and a few bioballs in chamber 2; and the sponge and UV sterilizer (not currently working) in chamber 3.

I think I will remove the sponge in 3 and slowly remove the rubble in 2. I think for now I'll replace that with Purigen.

Thanks for all the advice! Joining this forum has been the best thing I have done so far in this hobby!

Back