Hair Algae Treatment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

raschafer

Hey Guys.

125 gallon reef tank.

Long story short, I was running GFO, Carbon, & Bio Pellets on my Tank and over the past few months I have been getting Hair Algae with 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. After doing some research I found out that Bio Pellets can cause Hair Algae break outs. I took down my Bio Pellet reactor 2 weeks ago and seemed to slow down the growth however I am still scraping it off rocks every couple of days. I was wondering if anybody had any advice / recommendations on hair algae treatments? I was thinking of buying some type of product to help with eliminating it and I'm looking for advice.

Thanks.

Buy Kent tech m magnesium & a magnesium test kit. Raise your magnesium level to 1800. Make sure to use Kent brand as others don't work.

Interesting, I've never seen someone do a Tech M treatment for hair algae. I usually see it used for a bryopsis outbreak.

It might be in what your feeding. My experience was I had a bad case of hair algae and tried everything I could think of. I ran out of marine snow that I had been feeding and didn't order it for about a month and I noticed the hair algae started to subside. I ordered some more and started to feed it again and boom, the algae came back with a vengeance. I stopped feeding it once again and the hair algae completely died off and never has returned. The glass also stays cleaner. I don't know what your feeding, but some foods will put too many nutrients in the water and the hair algae feeds off of them. Just FYI.

I had HA along my the back wall of my 120g tank. IMO the idea is to export as much crud u can during wc time as with cleaning filter and medias... Get critters for ur tank that will target waste or leftovers. Urchins or lettuce nudibranch... Idk
I luv pencil urchins myself. Hths
D

interesting information, we also have hair algae in our 10gal, but there is not much fish you can put in there to eat it all up...

{have a One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish that loves hair algae, I have heard the bristletooth tangs are also good GHA. I put in turbos and they wiped it out.

interesting information, we also have hair algae in our 10gal, but there is not much fish you can put in there to eat it all up...

Hi Irchikg87, if you could, start a thread about your tank. we would all love to help. let us know what you have for equipment on it and how long its been running and livestock.
Hair algae can come from so many reasons. we'll help you get rid of it but we need to know more about the system. another thing is, is that they say a small tank is a little harder to keep the water parameters stable.

Back