Hair Algea on coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
I have a chunk of coral that has been hanging on for some time now, a rescue that has gone into remission a few times. The last time the polyps went into hiding some hair algea took hold on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of it without harming the coral? The snails are doing a lousy job these days of eating off the rocks too.

I has some hair problems myself, I'm fixing to go on a water changing craze, I plan on changing gout 30g three days a week until I get it under control, the holidays & re-scapign caused a crazy bloom! I'm going to try a toothbrush & vacuum & keep blowing the rocks daily while doing all this.

i just solved my Hair Algae problem :) took about 5 days to get rid of all of it.

used phosphate removers as directed
introduced three Emerald Green Crabs and one Lettuce Slug.
did a 20% water change with RO water

the algae disappeared before my eyes and the coralline algae regained color :)

I'm noticing my hair alge disappearing off the rocks with increased H2O changes. 20% a week over the last few weeks is really making a difference in my tank. Of course, the purchase of a RO/DI has made it easier for me to accomplish this.

Seamonster- you got rid of your hair algae in 5 days? wow!

I just got back from a 3 week vacation to find that the catsitter had overfed... a ton! The glass was all cruddy and turf algae all over the rocks.

So, I bought a lawnmower blenny (I've always wanted one of them!), huge waterchange, changed the rowaphos, changed the carbon. I missed out on the group Reeftopia buy for snails, as I think I could really use more of them! I think this is going to take 3-4 months to clear!

When those huge zebra turbo snails are working they do a great job, but it seems they spend alot of time just resting.

i didnt really have a bad infestation, i think i stopped it in the first week or so. now the sea slug is racing around the tank looking for food. i sure hope she lives. i hear a sea hare can completely solve the problems is a couple of days.

i hear a sea hare can completely solve the problems is a couple of days.

The only way to get rid of algae is to get to the source of the problem which is excess nutrients. Fish only hide the problem by eating it up, but it will come back if the root of the problem isn't addressed.

Whats odd is that I barley put any food in my tank, I have one eel and one damsel. However, water changes have been rare in recent times due to lack of $$. The reef is more like a lagoon i'm afraid. I just wish I could get the algea off that one chunk of unidentifed branch coral.

as krish said, you have to get to the root of the problem, for now, you can put a hare in and return him to the store in a week, after he eats everything. then you can kinda start over.
phosphate removers are always a quick fix also, if you are using tap water.
I for one know what happens when you dont keep up with water changes :)

I've had a problem with hair algae for a long time.I was getting my phosphates to 0 with the use of phospahte remover in my external filter but could not get rid of the algae.

I added the sea hare and you can see from the pics, the change has been for the better.I've had other problems as well but this beast can devour hair algae like anthing!

i just solved my Hair Algae problem :) took about 5 days to get rid of all of it.

used phosphate removers as directed
introduced three Emerald Green Crabs and one Lettuce Slug.
did a 20% water change with RO water

the algae disappeared before my eyes and the coralline algae regained color :)

Thats what I did to. I had a Forest of it in my tank.... Phosban to remove the fertilizer that started this mess... and going around with plastic tweezers and pulling off chunks of it.. or using a toothbrush (new one)...and scrubbing it off.

I didnt do a water change...though...

I did use Phosban, ripped out what I could..., and used Algae fix for marine to stunt the growth.....

but like you in a week my tank is awsome again...

Back