Half Cylinder 100Gallon brainstorming

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rsdino

Hello everyone reading
my name is Aaron Deane
I am an Ozzy living in Germany
I have been dreaming of a salt water aquarium for years now.
I have finally decided it is time.
I started this thread on the general discusion but i thought it best fits here.
Enough talking time for business.
Im looking at a half cylinder tank as i wrote in the title.
Approximately 60 cm in radius thats 24inches and either 60 or 70 high.
Im pretty sure im going to need a mix from Metal Halides and T5's cos i would love to have an aquarium with a DSB or Deep Sand Bed of around 10 cm or what 4 inches, 100% living rock.
The website that i have talked about in my other thread is a guy in Austria whilst the most of you probably won't be able to read what he writes there are some wicked pickies. thats www.hausriff.ch - check it out - thats a good goal for my coral i think
The form of the tank is a little out of the ordinary well its not a box - most lighting is set up for boxes, so im a little unsure just how at the moment
im considering a 36 inch set of 4 T5's with two Metal Halides in the middle probably 175w - i dont want the heat, then another 24 inch set of 4 T5's with a single Metal Halide also 175w, a few LED's for the ol moon effect and to allow the corals to better feed.
Under the tank i am considering the Via Aqua from O2manyfish skimmer comparison cos the price and it seems to work good and be more of a set and mostly forget, or the new one i have found thanks to skimmerwhisperer is the ATI bobble master 200 which is a little more expensive
At the moment i am looking at the live sand and live rock as being my biological filter the skimmer in the sump and . .. .
now im getting a little stumped im unsure as to what the difference is between lime water kalk water and a calcium reactor are - im pretty sure they all do a similar thing and thats supply the tank with the calcium it needs
which one im unsure of at the moment
Co2 how do you do - no idea
gotta tell the truth when i dunno what im speaking about
the other thing is the tank i am trying to find someone with a big enough over to bend the front acrylic im looking at polycarbonate from bayer makrolon i think its called except i think it only goes as thick as 12mm or approx 1/2 an inch
is that thick enough cos i live upstairs and the last thing i want is for this to split on me leaving me with approx 500 liters of water dropping through the roof to downstairs. the roof im pretty sure is ok its all concrete
it holds a piano it should hold the aquarium
ok enough gotta go spend some time with my girls

My new tank is similiar to yours. It has a 29" radius. From the other thread... you def want acrylic and not polycarbonate. My main tank(rectangle) is acrylic but with the circle shape I went with glass. The reason being...If you have every got in a fight with coralline on a curved surface you want a metal blade and not plastic. I have no issues with a flat acrylic tank but when it is curved it can be a pain. I think it would be easy to scratch a acrylic tank. If your angle was off just a litlle you would only be using the corners of the scraper.
4" in not deep enough for a DSB. You need at least 6". 4" is fine for looks. I am running a 3-4" sand bed in mine.
I would go with 2- 250 MH pendant instead of what you listed. Reason is a standard MH reflector/pendant is around 11". When you add 4 T5 's you are pushing 20" I am not sure it would even fit over the tank when you take into acount that the front is curved. If it did you would not be able to get to the water to do anything without moving lights etc. I had planned to suppliment with VHO but I decided to try a higher burn temp on the MH and see what I thought. (15k XM)

no acrylic?

ha so you are saying because of the cleaning of the front its difficult
that cleaning it would sctrach it
thats a shame
the glass, how did you get them to bend the glass like that
i mean obviously they can do it with a car windscreen but i thought it was not possible to get such a radius in glass
to be corrected
so what sort of overflow or drain and return setup do you have
have you got any pictures
i would be extremly interested in seeing some
what sort of hight do you have in your aquarium
sump
what sort of pumps ect..
have you got a thread on here with your setup?

Back