Halide Bulb Replacement?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefbobc

I just purchased a used fixture for my tank and it has a 14k 150 watt halide in it. It lights up, but I have no idea how old the bulb is and how bright it's supposed to be.

Is there something I should look for, or would it just be better to get a new bulb and start over? I know they can be pretty expensive and I'm on a tight budget (aren't we all right now?)

Any advise wouldbe appreciated!

What kind of animals/corals do you have in your tank? If all you're doing is lighting a fish only tank then I'd run that bulb till it quits firing. If you have, or are going to have, corals in the tank you can still run that bulb but I'd watch for corals that begin to show signs of being unhappy with the new light (lack of polyp extension, bleaching, receding). I would start saving my pennies for a new bulb and get one in and soon as you can afford to so that if your corals do begin to show that they're unhappy you will have a bulb ready to install.

Mike

givin the price of new bulbs...

if the seller didn't specify that the bulbs were new, then you can assume that they are old. Usually when somebody is selling something used in this hobby they are tired of maintaining it, ran the tank till it got ugly, or simply got a new fixture. If they fire for a while they can get some sort of a job done but when you replace them you will be happy with your purchase.

Yes, I have corals and they are not looking as happy as they were with the CF bulbs I used to have. I'll have to be looking for a new bulb I guess. Where is the best place to get them locally or what about online?

What kind of animals/corals do you have in your tank? If all you're doing is lighting a fish only tank then I'd run that bulb till it quits firing. If you have, or are going to have, corals in the tank you can still run that bulb but I'd watch for corals that begin to show signs of being unhappy with the new light (lack of polyp extension, bleaching, receding). I would start saving my pennies for a new bulb and get one in and soon as you can afford to so that if your corals do begin to show that they're unhappy you will have a bulb ready to install.

Mike

You might have a problem if you went from CF to halide. Your corals are probably in shock due to the huge increase in light. Even older halide bulbs put out a lot more light than CF bulbs. You need to gradually acclimate the corals to the more intense light. Shorter lighting period and possibly moving the light further from the water line.

Good point! Thanks for the tip!

You might have a problem if you went from CF to halide. Your corals are probably in shock due to the huge increase in light. Even older halide bulbs put out a lot more light than CF bulbs. You need to gradually acclimate the corals to the more intense light. Shorter lighting period and possibly moving the light further from the water line.

also, if you start to notice cynao or brown algae on your sandbed, then time to get new lights....mean they are no good and need to be replaced.

Back