halide lighting idea?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sivart33

okay so we all know MH lighting is expensive, but what about other lighting not made specifically for aquariums. i know more watts is good, but does the kelvin rating matter that much? i know bulbs can be changed out.

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-F...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

a 1000w or 2 MH 500watt lamps.

just a though has anyone tried it or thought about it. i have available to my dads that he uses rarely. but i could buy one set it in a hood( home made) and then set up some fans to keep it cool.

just a though. the bulbs may be able to change for a different color ( k rating) since these i would assume are a 6100k.

would nto be hard to take them off the stand and work around the "hot areas'

From what little I just read, those probably won't work. They are halogen v. Metal Halide. Less light, hotter, much shorter life span. And I don't know if they make them in the correct color range anyway...you'd want at least 10K.

you can get industrial MH fixtures, but alot of the big ones come with bulbs that are down in the 3-4K range which leaves your colors looking washed out and promotes algea. They also don't always have the best of reflectors, but some elbow grease can actually polish them up pretty nicely. I've read alot don't like to power the 20K bulbs but the 10K works I'm not entirely clear why

Back